Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Proamm VS Nosler Ballistic Tip ( .308 )

Well until PMP treats us South African local shooters decent with good prices. And not making us pay more then overseas shooters.
    I will stick with any brand but PMP. Irrespective how Pro Amm might shoot.

User

Quote Originally Posted by steph350 View Post
    Ballistic tip is made with rapid expansion in mind. the polymer tip initiates violent expansion as it is pushed into the bullet , punching the jacket open.. while the Proamm is made with stronger construction in mind with the thick wall jacket to support uniform expansion. the led tip (open tip) ""melts"" into the bullet opening the copper "slowly"

having said this. i would say the proamme is stronger and would mushroom better.
    But with the speed at 2400 i do not know if there is enough velocity to "pop" the ballistic tip"
    There are two different ballistic tips, Hunting and Varmint. The varmint versions tend to be the lighter bullets weights and the hunting heavier, eg 55gr varmint BT and 95gr hunting BT in 6mm.

Varmint react as you stated. The hunting version is more like a standard cup and core bullet.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bonedoc View Post
    There are two different ballistic tips, Hunting and Varmint. The varmint versions tend to be the lighter bullets weights and the hunting heavier, eg 55gr varmint BT and 95gr hunting BT in 6mm.

Varmint react as you stated. The hunting version is more like a standard cup and core bullet.
    I stand corrected then. i was under the impression of only the one ballistic, very rapid expansion bullet. very similar to the SST from hornady.

User

From the little i read online, the 30 cal 180gr ballistic tip is quite tough for a polymer tipped cup and core bullet.

Banned

Its still not going to be a reliable bullet at high speeds or less than perfect shots behind last rib on a wounded fleeing animal will still not make it through to vitals. It was designed to kill spectacularly on easy penetration shots, engine room stuff not though shoulder bones and guts first, and though it may work many times on shoulders etc it is far more likely to fail than a proper bullet on a bad shot. I still say it would be pretty same old as PMP on challenging shots. At OP speeds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2