Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default What knife? Options seem endless...

Right, so with my upcoming B-day my wife said I can choose something "cheap". So, I opted for a new pocket folder. I carry an Enlan with G10 grips already with me everyday, but because of it's price it's more of my abuse-everywhere knife and usually not sharp for too long before I tackle boxes or something with it and the sharpness fades.

What I'm now looking for is a more tactical blade, specifically for rare, occasional use and also for self defense. This means I'm looking at a knife with a longer blade than the Enlan I have, and because of the one-handed opening that'll be a good feature, I'm hoping for a knife with an assisted opening mechanism.

To top it all off, I'm a massive Kershaw fan because the knives have always served me well and they're not expensive at all. Workmanship is good and, IMO, they're good "bang for buck" knives.

I've got a budget of around R1,000. What I've seen for this price and considered is:

Kershaw Brawler. Not a big fan of this knife simply because of the blade shape. Tanto is strong at the tip, I know, but it's a nightmare to sharpen (I had a tanto shaped blade, sold it). What's good about it is that it allows for left-handed tip-up carry, which I need. Black oxide shows wear badly.

Kershaw Volt II. Nice blade shape and grip. No left-handed tip-up carry for easy and fast deployment.

Kershaw Clash. REALLY nice blade and blade shape. No left-handed tip-up carry for easy and fast deployment.

Kershaw RJ Tactical 3.0. Quad carry system. Nice blade shape. A bit shorter blade, I would prefer closer to 8cm or more.

Kershaw OSO Sweet. Shorter blade. Wrong carry system. Feels cheap. Was an earlier option until I actually held and played with one.

Kershaw Emerson CQC-6K. Emerson Wave opening feature suitable for left-handed carry. I'm not too familiar with the Emerson opener (although I know about it and how it works) and it will be difficult to open if I don't have it in a pocket and gripped ready. G10 on the handle is a plus. Neat looks, but the black oxide shows wear badly.

Kershaw Scrambler. Large blade (almost 9cm). G10 on the handle. A bit on the heavy side. So far my primary choice.

So far it's a choice between the RJ Tactical, Emerson CQC-6K and the Scrambler. Prices are very similar (~R200 difference) so that's not an issue. One thing about the Scrambler and the CQC though is that the G10 is only on one side of the handle. What's up with that?

What to do, what to do?

PS: The Scrambler is so far the leader of the choices, but I need someone to tell me "yay" or "nay" on this...

User

Default Re: What knife? Options seem endless...

Well in all fairness, if the blade isn't going to be used the coating wear won't be an issue and if the Emerson feature fails you can still open manually ps the other side is made out of steel because it has a frame lock

but doesn't the cqc - 6k have a stone wash finish ?

User

Hows this?

Cqc-4KXL

Not assisted opening but works like a charm.

They about R1k.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelQ View Post
    Well in all fairness, if the blade isn't going to be used the coating wear won't be an issue and if the Emerson feature fails you can still open manually ps the other side is made out of steel because it has a frame lock

but doesn't the cqc - 6k have a stone wash finish ?
    The CQC-6K has stone wash on the grind, and a satin finish on the rest. I would prefer a knife with a feature that won't fail that easily, specially if it's to be pulled in restricted space or with limited movement. I hate choices. Specially since I'm a bit of an askhole here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Medic View Post
    Hows this?

Cqc-4KXL

Not assisted opening but works like a charm.

They about R1k.
    That thing is BIG wow. I'll consider it as well, thanks!

User

So yeah, I'm an askhole.

BUT, in my defense:

I checked all the knives on my list. I checked the CQC-4KXL as well, but it was too big (wouldn't sit lekker in my pocket). The cheaper knives has really, really crappy grip scales, even the steel of the Scrambler was better than that cheap plastic finishes. The next knife that I wanted was more than double the Scrambler's price, and my wife would have killed me.

Overall I'm happy. Knife handles well, is very smooth and the blade is nice and solid in the handle. Happy with my choice!

User

Very nice ! Congrats on the new edition :)

User

Looks good.

Keep it razor sharp.

Very nice. Enjoy your new edc.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Medic View Post
    Looks good.

Keep it razor sharp.
    I have to sharpen it. It comes sharp from Kershaw, but not as sharp as I want it. Cutting edge is VERY shallow, so I'm guessing it contributes to the lack of actual sharpness. My use-and-abuse knife (Enlan Coqui) is quite a bit sharper than the Kershaw is right now. Same steel. Can easily be done! :D

User

Nothing as satisfying as shaving arm hairs with a new knife.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast