Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Shoot Him To The Ground - Matthew Temkin

Hi Guys,
    Hope that you are all doing well, Training hard and enjoying the start of what is to be an awesome long weekend :)

I saw this clip a while back on YouTube and was wondering what your thoughts were on the clip or alternatively on any of the Matthew Temkin multi-media that you may have already purchased??

Look forward to your input

BE Safe!
    “Practice Peace, Train Chaos!”

User

I'm not training guru and I've only got one SWATG training DVD. I don't like the way the guy does his stuff in this particular clip. This is based on what I've seen on the SWATG DVD and trained into myself. The SWATG stuff makes more sense to me and is more consistent - like the weak hand hanging around and the sweeping draw. To me the exact same stuff you should not be doing when drawing and firing.

User

The slow motion is really not necessary.

Banned

Does advancing on the target make the bullets get there faster?

Cooper taught (with multiple assailants) to shoot everyone once and to shoot whatever was still standing again. But then he was teaching the 45..... Even with a PD that would let you handle four or five before having to reload.

Maybe I should attend a modern defensive course.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    I'm not training guru and I've only got one SWATG training DVD. I don't like the way the guy does his stuff in this particular clip. This is based on what I've seen on the SWATG DVD and trained into myself. The SWATG stuff makes more sense to me and is more consistent - like the weak hand hanging around and the sweeping draw. To me the exact same stuff you should not be doing when drawing and firing.
    your statements rings true here as well

User

Thanks for your thoughts guys :)

Hi Shooter, I must aggree with you on the 'sweeping' and lack of off-hand movement, really seemed quite odd to me as well. Would appear to be a standard point shooting methodology as this hand is usually used to help maintain balance to some extent.

I really favor the idea of 'shooting an opponent to the ground' and all in all found the concept of 'working up' the centre line pretty sound ...

The only problem is that your opponent is NOT going to be standing still and with that in mind I will take ANY hits on his torso can be seen as a bonus!

As always, Take out the AirSofts, add the required pressure to the equation, and all of a sudden (in just under a minute) the TRUTH is revealed :)

Pressure Test EVERYTHING so that the required conclusions can be drawn from a potential life Threatening encounter ... I am sure that Mr Temkin is very accomplished and to be fair this was just a short video clip, but I would love to see him perform the same demonstration against a live, moving opponent as a training exercise/drill and see if he can obtain the same results.

Just my 2c

Have a great long weekend guys, BE Safe

Kind regards,
    RobertC
    “Practice Peace, Train Chaos!”

also they way he holds his gun and moves middle and ring finger and hi thumb while shooting , is weird. alot of movement in his gun s

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Does advancing on the target make the bullets get there faster?

Cooper taught (with multiple assailants) to shoot everyone once and to shoot whatever was still standing again. But then he was teaching the 45..... Even with a PD that would let you handle four or five before having to reload.

Maybe I should attend a modern defensive course.
    While there isn't a black and white answer to this I far prefer to get the threat out the fight before engaging the next. One shot on each with any service calibre is unlikely to remove him from the fight so I want him out the fight ASAP.

Three wounded guys shooting at me is probably a greater threat than one out the fight and the other two still fighting.

As for moving forward , if no cover is available advancing on him while firing will put him under greater pressure than retreating. Also I am moving into the known rather than back into the unknown where I am also putting less pressure on him.

and it would draw fire toward you AND their accomplice if you close the gap onto one of them as opposed to you withdrawing

matt sold me a .38 last year. I used to work across from his court house in Queens, NYC.

My personal thoughts are to check out Kelly McCann's Inside the Crucible or his earlier Defensive shooting series under the name Jim Grover. Temkin learned point shooting from Carl Cestari and I trained with Carl's top student Clint Sporman as well as Carl himself. I'm surprised all this stuff is making it over the Atlantic. These guys research your country and Rhodesia for applicable stuff!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast