Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Medium size EDC?

If you had to suggest a medium sized EDC folder what would it be?

Price must be less than R4k (locally or if I import the knife)?

I am looking at the new Griptilian with CPM 20CV steel and G10 scales, the PM2 with S110V steel and the Burger LEXK with M390 steel. Any other suggestions in this price range, size, weight and steel class?

User

Default Re: Medium size EDC?

Will this be a single use knife or more of a utilty blade?

If the former then I would sugest a PM2 or Endura 4.

If you going the utility/multi use (food prep/daily tasks/self defence etc) then the griptilian is nice or even an Emmerson CQC range or a PM2/Delica.

Personally I enjoy cold steel Recon 1 series. Have a look at the Cold Steel swift 2, something I am dying to get my hands on.

Al Mare also makes some "gentleman" looking folders.

For a daily use/abuse general beat up knife I would reccomend a cheapy like the tenacious or a Kershaw Emmerson colab.

Banned

That tacticool shop in CapeGate has a couple of Kershaw knives in stock. At least have a look at them before you spend the big bucks.

User

In the hand, the Griptilian has the best feel, but its a bit bulky in the pocket compared to the PM2. Splitting hairs really, but I prefer my PM2 to my Griptilian. Gotta say though, the axis lock feels nicer to me than the compression lock.

Ok. So I think im the boring one.
    I carry the CRKT Laredo with my formal office wear daily.Attachment 21645
    Not overly intimidating to other office staff. Compared to a wider blade model.
    And yes office staff get fuzzy when they spot a wider blade that shows up more.
    For some or other reason. So to avoid complications the CRKT works very well.
    And this Victorinox Army when wearing Jeans.
    Attachment 21646

Both are brilliant knives and I feel lost without them.

User

shooty is not the only boring one. I EDC an Enlan Coqui and a Kershaw Scrambler.

The Coqui is a "use-and-abuse" knife I use to cut boxes, ropes, etc. etc. It has G10 scales so it allows for great grip and the steel (8Cr13Mov) is cheap enough and good enough to make the knife affordable and yet I can make is razor-sharp if I want to. It's got a short blade with pocket clip on one side only, so I bought the Kershaw last month (b-day present). I've owned the Enlan now for about 2 years and use it almost daily. It's still in great nick. The G10 holds up brilliantly and the blade's lockup is still as good as it was the day I got it. I paid just under R200 (yes, two hundred) for it. The Coqui (not my pic):

The other knife I EDC along with the Enlan is my Kershaw Scrambler. It's got a longer blade, G10 scale on the one side (frame-lock) and assisted opening (Kershaw's SpeedSafe system). It's swapped over for left-handed carrying meaning I can pull and flick it open in one movement. The blade is longer than the Enlan's, and this is more of my "special" knife, as well as my "defense" blade, should I ever need one. The blade is a nice 8.9cm long without the overall closed length being too large. It's also made from 8Cr13Mov steel, which means the price wasn't too bad and yet it is, as with the Enlan, razor sharp. It's not a light knife, seeing as it's a frame lock, but it's not incredibly heavy either. It's not heavy enough to bother me, but the weight does make it feel very solid in the hand. Lockup is brilliant and solid. The entire knife is coated in titanium carbo-nitride and it's HARD wearing. It's been sitting on my keys for a week or two now and there's not a mark on the finish. I paid R1044 for this knife. The Scrambler (not my pic):

User

Emerson Mini Commander is an awesome EDC in that price range. Sharp Edge in Sandton City stocks them

User

User

At $175 I'm sure it'll break the R2k price tag in SA with new shipments :(

User

Thought the price tag was 4k

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast