Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default .22LR barrel cutdown?

I own a CBC mod 122 in .22LR, which is a copy of the Remington 511 and/or 581 but with a shorter barrel. At 110cm it is so handy and short that I can use it with the utmost ease in my bakkie's cab while driving in the field. However, the barrel is bulged 5 inches from the crown due to a stuck bullet shot out with another one by a previous owner.

It is necessary to cut the barrel shorter for safety reasons, but how would the shortening affect the performance and accuracy?

I currently get 1" groups from it at 25m with a very crappy scope.

User

Default Re: .22LR barrel cutdown?

You have a few options: rebarrel it, fit a barrel liner or shorten it however I would leave it as it is, I once had a Remington Range master that had a number of bulges in it and it shot like a beast.

Banned

Could you explain a little more about the barrel liner?

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod10974.aspx

Some info on liners but will most likely have to go through your gunsmith and same legal requirements as rebarreling?

User

Have a competent gunsmith cut the barrel about 1/2" behind the bulge. And while he has it clocked up in the lathe, let him sommer cut a thread to take a silencer. 1/2"x 20 TPI (UNF) is the standard thread for 22LR in SA and the UK.

The silenced rifle will balance about the same as the uncut original. very handy.

The accuracy will be as good, or better, than new. MV will drop a little, but not enought that the dassies/crows/maynahs will notice. Once you have the silencer fitted, you will want to shoot subsonics anyway. Warning: Shooting subsonic ammo is addictive!

A 22LR is a very dirty cartridge. Lots of unburned powder and gunk will accumilate in the silencer. Store and carry it muzzle down, to keep the gunk from falling down the barrel. Clean the can regularly.

Banned

Thanks folks, I learnt the regular cleaning lesson the hard way. Will have her looked at.

Banned

From 16 to 24 inch barrel makes little difference in 22 speed and accuracy.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Thanks folks, I learnt the regular cleaning lesson the hard way. Will have her looked at.
    Just for interest's sake, my 22 rifle (Anschutz) doesn't like getting the barrel cleaned. After a cleaning, it takes about a pack (50) of ammo, before the groups start closing again. So, I only clean the inside if forced to.

Banned

A-R, the twin extraction hooks of my CBC are powered by a rather weak circular clasp spring. Once the chamber gets dirty the cases get stuck and the hooks slip over the rim. This results in guineafowl getting away and this ds making some unusual noises

Banned

Just run a clean cloth on the jag through the barrel to get rid of the excess wax. That will help with the extraction problem.

I can see the padre exclaiming "daar ffffffff..... vlieg hy weg!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast