Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: The GOOSE is cooked!

4 geese in the fridge!

Can't wait for the next serving. Going to try doing the breasts differently this time...

That looks brilliant...

I shot a Spurwing about 2 months ago, I decided to make a pie. They really are large birds. In the field I gutted the bird and cut the wings off, then skinned it as I really didn't want to do the feather bit. The carcass did not rest at all and when into a large pot on the stove that same day, after about 2 hours there was a blackish grime in the water, I decided to throw this off and replace fresh water. Proceeded to cook for another 3 hours. The meat rested for the night and I heated again the next day adding some frozen mixed veg and small cut potatoes. At this point the meat burned. I did taste some in the top layer that did not burn, I had not added any seasoning up to this point it was tender and mild in flavor not very gamey at all.

Now it is just getting back out into the field to get another goose to try again.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but you chaps seem quite knowledgeable on the cooking of these beasts can you please give me some advise on how to make the perfect Spurwing or Egyptian goose pie?

or even would a pie be worthwhile from these birds?
    am I wasting the meat by making a pie? - what should I be aiming for?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Juriew View Post
    That looks brilliant...

I shot a Spurwing about 2 months ago, I decided to make a pie. They really are large birds. In the field I gutted the bird and cut the wings off, then skinned it as I really didn't want to do the feather bit. The carcass did not rest at all and when into a large pot on the stove that same day, after about 2 hours there was a blackish grime in the water, I decided to throw this off and replace fresh water. Proceeded to cook for another 3 hours. The meat rested for the night and I heated again the next day adding some frozen mixed veg and small cut potatoes. At this point the meat burned. I did taste some in the top layer that did not burn, I had not added any seasoning up to this point it was tender and mild in flavor not very gamey at all.

Now it is just getting back out into the field to get another goose to try again.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but you chaps seem quite knowledgeable on the cooking of these beasts can you please give me some advise on how to make the perfect Spurwing or Egyptian goose pie?

or even would a pie be worthwhile from these birds?
    am I wasting the meat by making a pie? - what should I be aiming for?
    A pie should work well. Just make sure that you add a lot of fat (bacon/gammon - not beef or lamb), as a Gypo must be the leanest meat on the planet. Have not done much shooting recently so I am a bit out of touch.

I've been planning to this at some point - http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1...uck-prosciutto

Loving the thread! Tried a guinea fowl once but man it was horrible! Brining and curing will be next on the list with a goose...

User

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGregory View Post
    I've been planning to this at some point - http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1...uck-prosciutto

Loving the thread! Tried a guinea fowl once but man it was horrible! Brining and curing will be next on the list with a goose...
    I think the breast meat from a gypo would make amazing carpaccio once brined and semi-dried... almost like a very wet biltong.

Agreed!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3