User

Default Anyone have a Warthog spit or leg recipe?

Good day all

I am hopefully going on a pig hunt soonish, Now I am wondering who can help me with a failsafe warthog spit or leg in slow cooker recipe.

I have done sirloins in a weber before glazed with Honey and mustard and it was decent, but its time to try something bigger.

Looking forward to all the advice.
    Thanks
    Daneel

User

Default Re: Anyone have a Warthog spit or leg recipe?

Following. Would also like to know

User

Selfde hier. With winter slowly approaching

Banned

I will share what I know.

Warthog is dense meat and tends to be dry. The fat is apparently not very tasteful although it has never bothered me. Warthog also has a wild taste, especially older sows and boars. It gets worse if the bone is left in the meat.

Thus, the basics: debone it and leave it for three days in a bucket of milk, sour milk or white joghurt. If necessary (in case the dairy starts stinking), replace it.

The rest is not very well known to me but this is a stanard start for piggies that most of us will. I have eaten baked, cooked and pickled pig.

Banned

Use young hog or a sow for solid meat like roasts and chops. Older animals for wors mince etc.
    if you sensitive to smell then you may find the adult boar has a taste smell of its own - its a warthog smell and not a game smell.
    As for milk vinegar etc dunno bout that. Best advice is to treat it as you would a piece of meat that leans towards dry lean. Still dunno what this "wild " taste is people talk about, I have tasted meat ruined by adrenaline and ruined by soaking in vineger and cloves and naaelties and garlic and rosemary thym parsely sage and all kinda shit because people heard about this "wild " taste. cook it - it tastes like meat and the spices used.