Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sports adventure shooting 12-13 March 2016

Sports adventure shooting
    12-13 March 2016

As per our calendar, the next event is our annual Bug-Out Weekend.

Those interested in attending please email sec@sportsadventureshooting.co.za

Minimum Gear required:
    L1, L2 & EDC and a full Jerry can of Fuel.

Once your email is received you will be sent the location & timings.

This Bug-Out promises to be very different from the previous years, thus I would encourage a good turnout.

Again: please email to confirm attendance.

Cheers
    Camo
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Default Re: Sports adventure shooting 12-13 March 2016

What must the capacity of the fuel filled jerry can be?

20 liter or 2 x 10 liter.
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Sas 12 March 2016

True to Sas tradition it was an early start to the day.

Plaashaas had sent the attendees GPS Co-ordinates and a Rendezvous for 06h30. The RV was about an hour away from JHB. Most arrived on time and after a quick meet & greet we were on our way to Middelburg.

Everyone had been told to bring their L1/L2 gear. No one knew exactly what would be happening on arrival. George & Leroy from Mpumalanga had been hard at work trying to get a Sas chapter started. But as usual it was a case of finding Land and a sympathetic land owner. This had been done and Sas Funky Town had been invited to give the L1 route a trial run.

The team arrived at 08h30. A quick prayer followed by the standard briefing and then kit inspections were done. Participants were set off in batches of 4, to follow a route with waypoints indicated by markers.

It truly is a beautiful range with a very scenic route ranging from rocky outcrops to a section where one has to almost 4x4 to clamber upwards alongside a waterfall. This is followed by a section through grassland back to the range. None of the Funky Towners knew the route and none wanted to get lost, so radio traffic was quite busy as the lads checked in to confirm the correct route.

On arrival back at the range each completed the shooting part of the L1 qualification. All passed the shooting except Camo and George’s younger brother.

This proved costly and they had to do “The Run” in order to make up for the shortfall. Part of the run was back uphill and really added some stress to the competitors... having to ‘fill in’ is quite an irritation… and expensive. Both managed to get the required hits within the allotted time.

Lesson learnt (again): zero your rifle and be confident in it!

After the L1 had been done it was time to do some long range shooting. A humanoid silhouette was placed at 314 meters and a series of balloons at 400 + metres. Plaashaas provided a Chronograph and each shooter chronyed their load. A 100m zero was confirmed and then we had a go at the gong.

Everyone scored first round hits on the gong with calibres ranging from .22lr .223, 308, 7.62x39, 30-06 and 303BR. Box did well to pop most of the balloons with his scoped 303.

Bushboy showed us how it was done with his LM6 getting hits on the gong with his iron sights. He further showed his skill when, on his 4th shot he hit the gong with his…..GLOCK 19!

All round it was quite impressive shooting by all – Camo (a die-hard 7.62 x 51 fan) was impressed by the .223! Using an NEA 14.5 with a Lynx 2.5-15X50 Scope and Bipod, George was able to make the gong ring as he rapid fired at the gong getting 8 or 10 hits in rapid succession.

Thereafter some members left for home while those who remained behind did some combatives, which involved a lot of pushing, shoving and distraction before the shooter could engage the target. This was intended to simulate a mugging. Lesson learnt: Once someone is within arm’s reach, you are really at an advantage/disadvantage depending on their intent.

The day was ended off by a hike back up the waterfall for a swim in the pools, followed by a braai and an awesome sunset.

Thanks to George & Leroy for their invitation and thanks to those that attended. It was a long trip but well worth it.

I'm sure one of the guys will be along with results and pictures soon.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

Thanks for the write-up JS4,

I would just like to give a huge thank you to Camo and his team for attending. It really is a good feeling to see your hard work come to fruition, and then everyone enjoying themselves just makes it that much more special.

Thanks to the Sas Gp chapter for all the assitance in getting the Mp chapter going.

A true bunch of gentlemen, comfirmed by the way they took the youngster under their wings and passing their knowledge and experience.

I can wholeheartedly say that there is no other shooting organization like Sas, and we in Mp will give 210% to carry that same torch here.

What an awesome range that is. The strenuous hike was more than made up for by the scenery.Thanks to the MP guys for making us welcome and I look forward to shooting there again sometime.

User

The shooting range is like on the tv program TOP SHOT. I cant explain it, I can only say those who have not been there should do so next time. The hike was bliss from my point of view. Thanks Leroy and George for finding this awesome range and venue. Thanks also goes to Plaashaas and Camo was a really good planned and sectretive bug out secario for us all. And a first for me to shoot over 200m with my .270

User

Camo when will be seeing some of the photos you took?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast