Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Springfield inheretance

Good day everyone, l am new to this forum and this is my first post. I have been left a Springfield 1842 percussion musket in a will. I assume it is a 1842, it is the correct length, smooth bore, the correct caliber and looks like the Google search pictures. My questions are, does this musket need to be licenced ( competencies etc) it is currently not. I have no intention of firing it, I just want to display it in my bar. Secondly what is it worth.
    Thankyou all
    Andre

User

Default Re: Springfield inheretance

As far as I know you do a type of competency and apply for a permit to possess powder, but I might be incorrect in this regard (changes and so forth). The FCA states that a muzzle-loading firearm isn't seen as a firearm, so you will be exempt from the FCA, at least. Note that I might be horribly incorrect in this matter as well.

PS: Epic firearm. I would LOVE to own something as legit as a Springfield 1842 one day.

User

You need to do muzzleloading competency test and then apply for the card. You don't need to have the firearm licenced

User

Thanks, so if I understand you correctly I need the competency to buy and store black powder, if I use the gun purely as display ( no shooting at all, i dont trust such an old chamber) do I still need to do competency.

User

Yes, AFAIK you need the competency and the card, but a permit for the powder.

User

What card?

Where?

As far as i know you do the comp, get info on the rifle, take it all to explosives department and get a permit to buy BP.

User

As i havr it you dont need anything to own it. Competency only if you wish to buy and use black powder

User

Possession of a muzzle loading black powder firearm needs a black powder competency certificate - whether you fire it or not. A lot of owners of muzzle gun do not have competencies and, because they do not fire their guns, think they do not need competencies. Not true. We've had this with museums and in fact; their 'responsible officials' need to hold competencies for every class of firearm in their possession; muzzle guns included.

A competency certificate is required if you wish to apply for a black powder permit.

And by the way: all muzzle guns, unless legally deactivated, must be stored in a SABS spec safe; just like doppie guns.

A lot of people believe that, if they don't tell, nobody knows. Till a cop without a sense of humor walks into your house. Then the fun starts!

User

OK so I can take it to a gunsmith to have it deactivated, correct? What paperwork do I need to take with to have this done and once it is deactivated can I legally hang it in my bar in the display case it came in. Will I still need a competency if it is deactivated. How do they do competency on a 150 year gun, I don't want to be near it when the trigger is pulled, I like my fingers.

User

Deactivating that gun would be a crime in itself, IMO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast