Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    User

Default NSA says we can only have more than 200 rounds for S16 licensed Firearms

We have been interpreting Section 91 of the FCA as meaning that a dedicated hunter and/or sport-person may hold more than 200 rounds of ammo per licence issued under Chapter 6 of the FCA. Thus meaning that because a person has dedicated status s/he may hold more than 200 rounds of ammo for all his firearms, irrespective of the Section of Chapter 6 of the FCA it was issued under (either Section 13 – self defence, or Section 15 – occasional hunting and/or sport shooting, or Section 16 – dedicated hunting and/or sport shooting).It now seems our interpretation was to narrow and too Section 91 specific, and did not take the wider meaning of the law maker into consideration when he introduced the limitation of 200 rounds of ammo per licenced firearm as stated in other Sections of Chapter 6 of the FCA (as a general rule with the exceptions made to dedicated hunters and/or sport-persons).
    We have asked our legal advisor, Mr Juan Kotzé, for a legal opinion on our understanding of the meaning of Section 91, as we have experienced some DFOs and some dealers to have interpreted the content of that Section to mean that one may only hold more than 200 rounds of ammo for a firearm licenced under Section 16 (dealers thus refuse to sell a person more than 200 rounds of ammo per occasion for any firearm not licenced under Section 16)
    The complete legal opinion and explanation of Mr Kotzé on this issue, can be read under Newsletter Vol. 12(16) on the Newsletters Page of the Natshoot website http://natshoot.co.za/nhsa-info/nhsa-newsletters
    In short his opinion is that one may only hold 200 rounds of ammo for firearms licenced under Section 16, and that one may thus also only hold more than 2,400 primers per firearm licensed under Section 16.
    Our previous interpretation of the meaning of Section 91 was thus clearly not legally correct in the wider context of the FCA, and we urge our members to stay within the confines of the prescripts of Section 91 as interpreted by our legal advisor.
    Link to the legal opinion

User

Default Re: NSA says we can only have more than 200 rounds for S16 licensed Firearms

I read the email a couple of times now.

Quote Originally Posted by NSA Email
    In short his opinion is that one may only hold 200 rounds of ammo for firearms licenced under Section 16, and that one may thus also only hold more than 2,400 primers per firearm licensed under Section 16.
    So, I'm breaking the law if I have less than 2400 primers ?

*Edit, I read the email again, I'm not sure I understand what they're trying to say, are they trying to say we may only have 200, or more than 200 ?
    Last edited by DRD; 10-03-2016 at 22:15.

User

Quote Originally Posted by DRD View Post

So, I'm breaking the law if I have less than 2400 primers ?
    No, you may only have more than 2400 primers per firearm licensed under S16

User

Default Re: NSA says we can only have more than 200 rounds for S16 licensed Firearms

But surely the firearm isn't found to be dedicated, but rather the firearm owner? Thus he is able to use any firearm licensed to him / her to carry out their dedicated duties??

User

Quote Originally Posted by DRD View Post
    WTF?!I read the email a couple of times now. They made my decision to renew my NSA membership very easy.So, I'm breaking the law if I have less than 2400 primers ?
    I presume you're joking. You can only have more than 2400 primers for a firearm licensed under S16. If you're licensed under S13 or S15, you cannot have over 2400 primers. I'm not addressing whether the opinion makes sense, just explaining what the guy said.

User

Quote Originally Posted by marshy View Post
    If you read the linked doc it doesnt say S16, i think he meant sec 13 here

User

Quote Originally Posted by marshy View Post
    Ah, that sentence makes sence now, thanks.

Think a second opinion is needed. Section 91 doesn't state section 16 specifically.

User

Well, subsection one (1) says that you are not allowed to have more than 200 rounds for each firearm you have a licence for. Subsection two (2) then says that subsection one (1) does not apply to a person who holds dedicated hunter, dedicated sport shooter or a professional hunter who holds a licence issued in terms of the FCA on good cause shown. That is pretty straight forward to me. Furthermore, it is of my opinion that the scratching of non-itches leads to complications and unwanted attention.

User

Quote Originally Posted by sa-shooter View Post
    Well, subsection one (1) says that you are not allowed to have more than 200 rounds for each firearm you have a licence for. Subsection two (2) then says that subsection one (1) does not apply to a person who holds dedicated hunter, dedicated sport shooter or a professional hunter who holds a licence issued in terms of the FCA on good cause shown. That is pretty straight forward to me. Furthermore, it is of my opinion that the scratching of non-itches leads to complications and unwanted attention.
    Amen to that

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast