Thread: The GRUNT

Default The GRUNT

I traded into this new custom recently and I really dig it. It's big and bold and has an unusual and interesting blade shape. The maker is Tom Halloran of Texas and he's an ex military man so he's called this design, The Grunt. I think it's pretty apt.

Steel is 1084 which is a high carbon steel of the type favoured by forgers because its easy to work with. This particular knife isn't forged though but made by the stock removal method.

High carbon steel is tough and easy to sharpen but rusts easily, hence the black finish to prevent rust. Its called parkerizing and apparently used quite a bit on firearms as well.

The scales are thick OD G-10 with a nice grippy texture, held in place with 3 screws on each side.

It's a big blade, measuring around 11 inches overall with a blade length of around 5 inches (sorry, I always think in inches where knives are concerned). The small integral guard is nicely done. The small choil is useful to aid in sharpening but not too oversized that it interferes with close up work.

The scallop out of the spine is good for resting your thumb on when choking up on the blade. Its also a useful spot to aim for if you need to baton with the knife. I actually would have liked to see some jimping there to make for a better purchase.

The blade is also excellent for slashing and piercing. The high flat grind and long sweeping belly will slash with ease and the broad spear point will create a fearsome wound channel. The spine is tapered to aid in penetration.

There is a pronounced skull cracker on the butt end with lanyard hole.

The sheath is extremely well done out of beefy kydex. Sheaths on fixed blades are a bugbear of mine. So many people neglect this area and just do a perfunctory job. Halloran has ensured that the sheath is both functional and effective.

The knife is held securely but its also easy to clear the knife in a hurry. The sheath is secured to the belt with a large Tek-lok.

The package is large but not too large to be carried, although if you have bucket seats in your car, as I do, the sheath needs to periodically adjusted for comfort.

Halloran also makes a smaller version of this knife, called the Mini-Grunt, which looks really nice.

Enough talk! Some pics:

Check that massive blade!

Nice ergos on the handle. Good grip.

Maker's mark: simple but effective

In the hand

Some jimping on the spine, but more would be nice. Steel is 5mms thick.

Good penetration!
    Last edited by Buffalo Hump; 29-03-2010 at 09:17.

User

Tell us about the knife that cut your finger!!!

Ha ha..... that was just a boring old kitchen knife, slicing onions!

Here's a tip: keeping the skin on stops you from crying like a little bitch but it makes it a lot easier slice your fingers!

User

Nice
    "There is no second place winner in a gunfight" - B Jordan

User

Mugger *pulls knife* "Gimme your wallet or I knife ya!"

Buffalo Hump *puts on Aussie accent* "That's not a knife, mate," *pulls GRUNT* "this is a knife..."

Ha ha....... yeah, the intimidation factor is definitely present!

Hahahahah!

User

On knives....i was at Rosenthals in WHK the past weekend, saw a engraved (entire blade) Puma knive there, blade length about 25 cm, bone or ivory grip, presented in a very nice wooden box finished off with velvet inner.

You guess the price mates.....?

Dude, I give up - tell us.....