User

Default DIY Reloading Bench, Similar to LEE Stand

Hello to everyone who reads this,

So, I've been using GunSite for the past couple of months and have received really really valuable tips/advice and would like to thank you all by posting a little advice of my own..

I have recently begun learning about the art of reloading, and have decided to put in a "Couple" of bucks to do this myself, however, being the person that I am, I have cut costs where and when I can and have built whatever, wherever and whenever I could.

So I have purchased this collection of equipment however, have had no idea whatsoever on where to mount this, and begin reloading, So I've searched abit for options and have come across the LEE reloading stand which seemed just perfect, however it had a brand new price of over R1000-00!(For a bench!)

So(I apologize for the long stories, its just my poor attempt to make reading this more interesting..), Yes, I have built my own(for R200-00!), and just want to share my method, experience with those who decide to start reloading, and have no bench to mount their equipment, or for those who just want another bench or whatever the reason..

Okay I think I've spoken enough regarding myself and my story, here's what I did to build this bench..

Things needed:
    - Someone to weld everything together for you(I've taken my metal parts to a nearby side of the road exhaust welder..)
    - 4x Angle Iron, (each piece can be dependent on your final height of the bench, and thickness can go according to your weight applied on top, I've used 4x 1 meter long, and 3mm thick pieces)
    - 4x pieces of square bar as a frame for the top frame, the sizes of these will also be dependant on how much of a surface you want to have on top of your bench.(I've used 4x 24cm long bars)
    - a flat piece of chip board, again, depending on your intended final surface size.(I've used a 25x25cm square board)
    - 4 smaller pieces of angled iron, as a support to keep the bench in one piece.(I've used 2x 32cm pieces, and 2x 32cm flat pieces of iron)
    - a bunch of bolts and nuts(Significantly thinner than your square bar)
    -a Drill bit for your selected bolt size..

Everything I needed came out to R100.44, and the labour to weld this together was another R100-00, therafter, I just drilled holes on the top, and on my board, and screwed everything in place,

so before I confuse anyone, here's a couple of pictures to show the final product, and I've added labels to indicate the various components required as stated above, for those who are unsure of what is all of this..

part 1.jpg
    part 2.jpg

//Notice that the legs were welded in an angle from the frame, this is for added support, just a tip.

Also, there are multiple ways to kill the cat, so one may use just wood...etc, this was just what I done.

I hope someone somewhere finds this useful..

Regards.

User

Default Re: DIY Reloading Bench, Similar to LEE Stand

That looks very well made, enjoy your new reloading bench.

Nicely done! Start using and see what else you need. Extra storage space closeby comes to mind. Be sure to add some weight onto your support braces, eg sand bags, exercise weights or what have you for extra stability of the bench. You don't what to topple the setup during resizing of your brass...

User

Well done -- looking good!

User

Remember to anchor it. Either to the floor or the wall.

User

Job well done!!

And only for R200 .

My only concern would be the chip board and its longevity.

User

Thank you all, yes I am enjoying it, and as for the chipboard, this specific piece is quite sturdy, but I suppose if someone else were to try this they should get some sort of stronger board..

Oh yes, I have forgotten to mention, one needs a drill too, as I've mentioned a drill bit, but no drill..

User

Quote Originally Posted by Proudprado View Post
    Remember to anchor it. Either to the floor or the wall.
    Yes, I have considered anchoring it, but in my case right now, the weight is significant enough to prevent the bench from tilting to the side as pull the lever down of the press(when I pull as hard as I can)
    But yes, I agree for those attempting this with lighter materials to have added weight to the bench..

User

My work bench (before the press is mounted) weighs about 50kg. The press works better since I attached the bench to the wall.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Proudprado View Post
    My work bench (before the press is mounted) weighs about 50kg. The press works better since I attached the bench to the wall.
    I will definitely give that some thought and try it out when possible, thanks for that..