Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Baby browning value

Not sure if this qualifies as a classic or collectable, but I have an original FN Baby Browning - made before 1959 in very good condition. Hasn't been fired in many years, but no visible signs of wear that would indicate it wouldn't.

Was wondering what the value was.

I've had a look at an international valuation book and they rate it at anything from $150 to $500 but of course that always dependent on what someone is prepared to pay.

Any ideas?

I've called a few gun dealers in CT and they pretty much said I should take it to the police to destroy if I didn't want it. I'm sceptical though.

I think Browning made about 3 million Baby's and 5 million ended up in SA! I sold an almost NIB complete with cleaning kit, instruction leaflet, original receipt for £7 7s 6p for R900 but it went to Australia. They like them there (they like sheep too) but it has to be in excellent condition and complete.

At Auction they fetch R25 to R300 if good. Nothing if not.

Otherwise your dealers in CT have probably given you good advice.

If you get really desperate we do do a lethal conversion which makes it a real good SD tool - we weld a 1m bar into the barrel and it makes a good club.

Jeff Cooper once said that if you owned a Baby you has better be a dammed good shot. Because if you ever had to use it you might get lucky and hit your adversary who might get pissed off and do you some harm back!

Seriously a great little gun, well made, but ................................

Hope this doesn't burst your bubble.
    If all else fails, use a bigger mousetrap

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Bullet View Post
    Seriously a great little gun, well made, but ................................

Hope this doesn't burst your bubble.
    Y'know... I used to hold the little piece of metal in some contempt. Couple years ago I was shooting the shid with some old meatbombs who had jumped into Cassinga and they were telling me that the BB was quite popular as a 'medal' suspended on paracord around their necks. Reason being that their FNs were lashed to their bodies UNDER their harnesses and, if they fell into trees, they would be otherwise toothless...

Anyway, the very next morning SWMBO and I are at breakfast when we hear 'pop, pop, pop, pop, pop' from our neighbour's house, followed by someone calling for assistance. We drive round the block (their house is back to back with ours) and there is Thabo, lying facedown at the end of their 50m driveway... permanently late for work.

When the neighbours had opened the door to let the dog out three guys had rushed into the house. They tied up our neighbours and ransacked the place, then left and locked the gate at the house end of the driveway and casually sauntered down the long drive. The neighbour got loose and had his BB in the dressing gown pocket. He got as far as the gates and let rip down the drive. Thabo caught a lucky shot in the nape of the neck and lay down to sleep. Not even a drop of blood!
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Y'know... I used to hold the little piece of metal in some contempt. Couple years ago I was shooting the shid with some old meatbombs who had jumped into Cassinga and they were telling me that the BB was quite popular as a 'medal' suspended on paracord around their necks. Reason being that their FNs were lashed to their bodies UNDER their harnesses and, if they fell into trees, they would be otherwise toothless...

Anyway, the very next morning SWMBO and I are at breakfast when we hear 'pop, pop, pop, pop, pop' from our neighbour's house, followed by someone calling for assistance. We drive round the block (their house is back to back with ours) and there is Thabo, lying facedown at the end of their 50m driveway... permanently late for work.

When the neighbours had opened the door to let the dog out three guys had rushed into the house. They tied up our neighbours and ransacked the place, then left and locked the gate at the house end of the driveway and casually sauntered down the long drive. The neighbour got loose and had his BB in the dressing gown pocket. He got as far as the gates and let rip down the drive. Thabo caught a lucky shot in the nape of the neck and lay down to sleep. Not even a drop of blood!
    Bwahahahaha!! That is bloody funny!

I was given an Astra, copy of the .25 Baby. It was owned by my Godfather since the late 1950's. I'll be shooting it in BUG when the license is in.

It has a 10-shot mag, which falls free when you hit the mag release.

There is a slot in my diary for testing .25 ACP loaded with Impala solids, against steel plate in 2, 4 and 6mm. My money is on the .25 .

User

Its like SilverBullet says.
    Unless its mint in box with all the papers, manuals and tools its worthless.

Or unless its a factory engraved version of the rare alloy framed one.

User

I have inhereted a little BB from my late father, who I believe bought it in the late 1940's. It was stolen during the 1950's, a murder was committed with it, and after the murder trial, it was returned to my father.

I attach a lot of sentimental value to it. Not wanting to "waste" a license on it, I handed it in for deactivation last year, before the SA Hunter's interdict was granted. When the interdict was granted, I went to my local DFO, and demanded that the deactivation be suspended untill finalisation of the court case. Lo and behold, it was already deactivated. The little guy has been castrated.

And it was not done in a very nice way. It looks ugly.

Anyway, I still have it.

Apart from sentimental value, and as a last ditch weapon, they are worthless.

User

The USA value is high because they're not allowed to import them (some law in the sixties) so the supply is limited.

Here, it has to be new in box to hit R200.

Not bad guns, but not in short supply at all.

Attach fishing line to it and use it as a sinker in your fishing tackle - about the best us for it, at least you can then get some use out of it. Do not take up valuable licence space with one of these!

User

Default Re: Baby browning value

Highlander I assume it is the model with the square slide with BABY on the bottom of the grips? It is not by any chance the model with the grip safety? If it is I am interested as it is variant I do not have.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast