Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Vector optics 6-25 x 50 rifle scope opinions please?

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Oblivious View Post
    Ok ja that math gets a bit much, I just use n G7 range finder to tell me what to do!
    G7 gives you a range and you get hold over from that, but your holdover still needs to be calibrated to magnification on SFP.
    If you dial wind & drop you are fairly safe, but then you don't really need Mil or Hash marks on retickle either...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    he will hunt with it...longer distances up to 350 meters...
    For hunting you want a scope with a good reputation for holding its zero under field conditions. A good warranty is great for replacing a scope gone mad, however, that warranty is not going to pay for animals wounded as a result of the scope changing its zero. One wounded and lost animal makes a cheap scope an expensive one.

If I were in your shoes I would look at a scope from a reputable maker, even if it means settling for one with lower magnification. You do not need more than 10x for 350 meter shots anyway.

User

Quote Originally Posted by stefanvan View Post
    G7 gives you a range and you get hold over from that, but your holdover still needs to be calibrated to magnification on SFP.
    If you dial wind & drop you are fairly safe, but then you don't really need Mil or Hash marks on retickle either...
    Ja G7 gives me range and elevation/drop in MOA, I dial for elevation and use the ret for wind.Also use the ret to measure impact from where im aiming or a mis when im spoting.FFP has no advantage for what I do

User

Members, thank you kindly for all the informative replies. Knowledge of scopes are not my strong point ....reading every reply makes me feel I really know very little about scopes for rifles...specific long range hunting....shooting scopes for dangerous game animals and short distances seems to be relevant to me...

From what I understand from all the replies Ruan do not need a scope with such high magnification.

Out to 350 m a scope with 4-10 x40/50 magnification will do the work....Leopold/Nikon/Redfield/ ect...will be suffice..

We want to hunt springbok next year...this is the reason for longer distances...thank you again for all the replies members..as usual it is much appreciated...

Gert

User

Have a look at the the 6-18 Redfield, quality scope at a very good price

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    We want to hunt springbok next year...this is the reason for longer distances...thank you again for all the replies members..as usual it is much appreciated...

Gert
    Gert - Very few springbok are shot past 300 meters, and lots are shot between 200 and 300 meters. Even a good fixed 6x will work for this and a 3-9x40 will be plenty.

User

Thank you T Stone, I would be pleased if the springbok are between 100 meter and 150 meters... Ruan want to get into longer distances shooting...maybe I need to take him to a shooting day where gongs are shot out to long distances, giving him an opportunity to see what long distance shooting is all about.

It is an aspect of shooting I know little of , especially the practical side and knowledge of the type of scopes needed for this kind of shooting.

User

Members, I do get this scope ( still in box, never used with rings as well) at a very good price. It will be Ruan`s first scope to learn some basics of how to use a long range scope...his first scope was/is a Leupold M8 6X40 , still on his 7.62 Israeli Mauser...

I contacted the importer of these scopes, he said if there happens to be a problem with this scope , I need to send it to him, he will send me a brand new scope and send this scope back to China...
    So, for this price , R2300 for the Vector Optics 6-25x50 as `n first longer range scope , with after sales back up by the importer who pointed out these scopes go for R5500 currently , I think it is worth a try to purchase this scope...I will keep in mind that purchasing a cheap scope has its hazards...since only a rich man can afford a cheap rifle scope...

User

For hunting I would choose his old Leupold over the Chinese scope every time. For target shooting it doesn't matter. Badly shot targets does not get away and die a lingering death while costing you money and a sleepless night.

User

I do agree with your perspective , Tstone, I view this exercise as a stepping stone for Ruan to commence with long distance shooting...first of all Ruan needs to learn to operate such a type of rifle scope..Willie Koekemoer will be his mentor to assist and guide him.

When the time comes and he really excels in this type of shooting only then will I invest in a top end rifle scope and upgrade to a rifle caliber of his choice...

If this comes to nothing I still have the scope and have not invested a lot of money on this exercise ...

This is my take on purchasing this Chinese scope...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast