Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Accidental Discharge BRNO model 2E!

Evening,

Today i shot hole through my roof...praise the Lord that I followed the firearm safety rules because my son was walking towards me when it happened.

It turns out that now, as a norm, disengaging my safety fires the chambered round everytime unless im painfully careful and slow when I disengage it. I was able to replicate the problem time after time. In 30 odd attempts only two were unsuccessful in replicating the issue.

Im wondering what part might have worn inside the bolt to cause this? sadly the local gunsmith is a grumpy old man and well known for taking months with simple repairs so its something i would rather do myself being a technical chap and all, if its possible. I'd hate to be apart from my beloved .22 for an extended period of time.

Have any other members experienced this with these rifles?

User

Default Re: Accidental Discharge BRNO model 2E!

Off hand I would venture that the sear is damage. Use the candle smoke test to see how much much contact there is.

User

Could be something as simple as dirt in the trigger mechanism not allowing the sear to return to it's full height, pull it apart and give it a good clean and then reassemble and retest to start with.

User

You must be be from Maritzburg! Grumpy gunsmith, I know who you are referring to, unfortunately the not so grumpy gunsmith passed on.

Friend of mine bought a new BRNO 22 last year. Took it to a well known Gunsmith to have trigger done.
    Came back. And at first had light strikes. Took it back. And next time the firing pin went off every time he closes the bolt.
    Yours might hopefully just be dirt or old oil that's become gummy. Don't think you could have shot enough to wear the sear that much.
    His is due to Gunsmith over doing something.
    Now the Gunsmith says take back to dealer where you bought. And dealer says no its the gunsmiths fault.

Hope you get yours one sorted easy. Just strip it from stock and inspect it.

But if you buy new invest in a CZ not a BRNO as the cz's have set triggers.

User

Although it may be a quick and easy fix to DIY, please have a smith look it over. Soon your son will be learning on the very same rifle so you would want it to be 100%

User

Take the stock off and check if there is any dirt on the sear. It could also be that the catch on the striker is worn out (highly doubtful though). Give the bolt a strip and clean too. Fortunately these rifles dont need any tools to strip the bolt.

User

Remember the most important safety is the one between the ears. And the 4 basic firearms rules. Hope you come right

User

Never heard of this happening before with these rifles, not even on rimfirecentral.com. I have never used the safety on mine as I do not have to. I only load in in the field or on the range, so there is no need for the safety.

User

Quote Originally Posted by PCfanatic View Post
    Never heard of this happening before with these rifles, not even on rimfirecentral.com. I have never used the safety on mine as I do not have to. I only load in in the field or on the range, so there is no need for the safety.
    I hear you, but if someone else uses it and forgets that the safety doesnt work? also when handing this firearm over to another person i prefer to hand it over with the safety engaged if it is loaded and communicate as much. i would still prefer to have all standard mechanisms functioning normally on it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast