User

Default Live-Fire Targets and Accessories

Hi all

This is a bit of a follow-up on this thread: http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...Shotgun-Drills

We all know that dry-firing is the easiest and cheapest training method for handgun (and probably shotgun and rifle). But sometimes you need some live-fire practice. You need to feel the recoil and hear the bang, maybe add some movement or shooting from cover (especially for SADPA/SAPSA).

However these things can't really be done at my normal indoor range, so I'll have to move outdoors. But moving outdoors, I'll need some equipment and accessories.

In my case there are two big limitations:
    1. I drive a small car
    2. I live in a small flat

This means that any equipment shouldn't be too bulky.

So what do you use for targets/ target stands when doing these types of drills?

I saw an ad in one of the local gun mags about a month ago (can't remember which one) for fold-up cardboard targets/target stands. As I understand it is folded flat until you want to use it. You then assemble/open it and it is an IPSC style target on a stand (so not completely on the ground).

What is your opinion on using something like this?

User

Default Re: Live-Fire Targets and Accessories

I got given a cardboard target set as a freebie at a comp. While it was nice to play with while it was free, I am not sure I'd spend the money on it now that it's finished (price IOW bang for the buck). You can make PVC holders or, weld up steel holders that are cheap to produce, and small enough to use in a small car. Even Zero Down's hostage steel target fits in the boot of a Jazz. Most (if not all) ranges have gear for you to use. I very seldom have to take anything along for standard drills/practise.

User

Quote Originally Posted by dux View Post
    I got given a cardboard target set as a freebie at a comp. While it was nice to play with while it was free, I am not sure I'd spend the money on it now that it's finished (price IOW bang for the buck). You can make PVC holders or, weld up steel holders that are cheap to produce, and small enough to use in a small car. Even Zero Down's hostage steel target fits in the boot of a Jazz. Most (if not all) ranges have gear for you to use. I very seldom have to take anything along for standard drills/practise.
    There are two ranges fairly close to me. The one has target stands and brandering, but it isn't really in a good condition. The other range has steel framed targets which is nice for the hunters to use, but if I start to shoot from strange positions or on the move, I'm going to lose my deposit quickly.

User

Make yourself target stands out of PVC drain pipe. If you don't glue the 3 way used for the upright, it should fold nice and flat.
    Just cut the brandering to the max length that will fit your boot.

You don't really need more than 3 stands to have a decent session.

User

Zero down stands can dismantle to be really small but I don't think Dickie is making any more

User

http://www.tacticalquartermaster.co....x.php?cPath=71

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk