Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Potjie Pot

User

Default Potjie Pot

Hi all, need to buy myself a potpie pot as it will be great use for winter.

Which pot is better to buy and why - the flat bottom pot or the 3-leg pot?

Thanks in advance...

User

Default Re: Potjie Pot

How many people would you normally feed with it?

Falkirk where the best but are not made anymore.

Your next best is BestDuty

I wouldnt bother with ones at builders and such, I didnt how the lid fit on those

Also make sure you season it properly when you get it

User

My my, another person looking into this type of purchase...

I found this place: http://www.megamaster.co.za/product-...-and-cookware/

Their prices are not excellent, but they are well-priced and the quality seems to be quite OK. pdh gives very valuable information regarding the seasoning of the pot - the better the seasoning the better the taste the pot will give. I find Spray & Cook works WONDERFULLY for short-term storage, and olive oil nice for long-term.

Finally, I find Size 3 to be the most "versatile" pot. It's not that big that it's hard to cook for 4~6 people, and if the need arises you can push meals for ~12 people in the pot. Oh, and the choice between legged and flat is a personal choice. Flat can be used on a stove in crappy weather, legged cannot. Legged can be used on a fire without the need for a stand, flat cannot.

Personally, my first choice will be a flat. I cook for few people and don't have a big enough fireplace to sustain a fire to keep it going for hours on end. Also, last weekend I borrowed my FIL's 3-legged pot, and when the gas hob started giving issues I was very angry with myself for not making the biltongpotjie on the stovetop from the start. With a flat pot I could have just moved it to stovetop - issue solved.

User

I prefer the round 3 leg one. Partly from tradition, and also you can make a potjie anywhere. The flat bottom you can only use on a braai, or with a triangle or balancing it on bricks.

To cure a new pot, make a fire in it. Let it cool down, then wash it with corse goldy locks. This will remove some of the printers ink. Then do it again, untill you no longer get black on your cloth.
    Never use water to cool it down faster, as it will crack. It has to cool down naturally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I found this place: http://www.megamaster.co.za/product-...-and-cookware/

Their prices are not excellent, but they are well-priced and the quality seems to be quite OK. pdh gives very valuable information regarding the seasoning of the pot - the better the seasoning the better the taste the pot will give. I find Spray & Cook works WONDERFULLY for short-term storage, and olive oil nice for long-term.

Finally, I find Size 3 to be the most "versatile" pot. It's not that big that it's hard to cook for 4~6 people, and if the need arises you can push meals for ~12 people in the pot. Oh, and the choice between legged and flat is a personal choice. Flat can be used on a stove in crappy weather, legged cannot. Legged can be used on a fire without the need for a stand, flat cannot.
    Agree no 3 is the most versatile. The flat pot can also be used for bread and such

I have looked at the Megamaster ones and was less than impressed. For me, the extra cost is negligible as a potjie pot will last a lifetime. I got my BestDuty at http://www.braaishop.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
    I prefer the round 3 leg one. Partly from tradition, and also you can make a potjie anywhere. The flat bottom you can only use on a braai, or with a triangle or balancing it on bricks.

To cure a new pot, make a fire in it. Let it cool down, then wash it with corse goldy locks. This will remove some of the printers ink. Then do it again, untill you no longer get black on your cloth.
    Never use water to cool it down faster, as it will crack. It has to cool down naturally.
    I also prefer the 3 legged one as I find it more versatile in where you can cook with it

I do it slightly differently. Clean it with sunlight soap and water, scrub it. Then put on the fire with some cooking oil in it, when the oil starts to smoke, take it off and wipe down, continue process till the cloth is somewhat clean.

Main thing is when you store it, to put some oil on. I like Toxxyc's spray and cook method and will give it a try

User

I just stuff mine with news paper. Oil can get rancid., and sticky, so you have to wash it before use. Stuffing it dense with an old news paper works as well. The news paper absorbs moisture, and prevents rust.

Oil works well if you make potjie often.
    Sadly i do not make as much potjie as i would like. News paper be my only option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    Agree no 3 is the most versatile. The flat pot can also be used for bread and such

I have looked at the Megamaster ones and was less than impressed. For me, the extra cost is negligible as a potjie pot will last a lifetime. I got my BestDuty at http://www.braaishop.com/

I also prefer the 3 legged one as I find it more versatile in where you can cook with it

I do it slightly differently. Clean it with sunlight soap and water, scrub it. Then put on the fire with some cooking oil in it, when the oil starts to smoke, take it off and wipe down, continue process till the cloth is somewhat clean.

Main thing is when you store it, to put some oil on. I like Toxxyc's spray and cook method and will give it a try
    You're usually right when you talk about something, so I'll rather go for the BestDuty ones as well.

PS: Braaibrood sticks in a standard potjie thanks to the "belly" of the pot. Trust me, I've done this. I have seen this. I have tried this. It was quite humerous to sit with a ~2kg bread and it won't come out of the pot in one piece... :P A pot like this one works wonders, just remember to put a bit of cheese on the bread about 5 minutes before it should come out of the oven: http://www.braaishop.com/shop/bestdu...ke-potjie-pot/

PPS: It seems Braaishop sells pots that are pre-cured, none of this washing required: http://www.braaishop.com/shop/bestdu...on-potjie-pot/

A Flat potjie is much more versatile. It can be used on a stove ,cole stove, gas and a fire. The three legged one you can only use on a fire or gas with a potjie cooker.
    The straight sided flat potjies works great for potbrood as well. I have about 6 Different potjies and I tend to use the flat ones more often.

What I do with mine is boil water in it. Keep on turning the lid until the least amount of steam escapes. Then you mark the bottom and top ( Cutting blade on grinder) so that every time you use it you get the tightest seal when the marks correspond.

User

My last poitjie was a flat bottom with enamel on the inside......easy to clean and store.

I would light the fire and put the poitjie on the gas bottle, start the prep work on gas.....by the time your fire is ready you just put a set of legs in the fire and you are good to go.

Like this one with enamel option http://www.braaishop.com/shop/bestdu...on-potjie-pot/

User

You also get enamel coated pots, no seasoning necessary ever. Purists everywhere are now spitting....

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast