Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Potjie Pot

User

Default Re: Potjie Pot

Quote Originally Posted by flincher View Post
    What I do with mine is boil water in it. Keep on turning the lid until the least amount of steam escapes. Then you mark the bottom and top ( Cutting blade on grinder) so that every time you use it you get the tightest seal when the marks correspond.
    Awesome

User

Thanks guys. I will normally cook for about 4-6 people so I think the No# 3 pot will suit my requirements.

Based on what was said above, I think that the flat bottom pot will suit me best, and using it on the stove in crappy weather is a great idea (never thought of that).

I assume this will also work fine on a gas bottle using the Cadac gas cooker top?

User

I misplaced my No. 3 pot in the Kruger Park last year and bought a new pot. I always had the issue that the no. 3 pot boils over when making a big recipe, so I elected to go for a no. 4, much better as now there is always more than enough space to work with.

Only drawback is that it does not fit on any of the potjie gas primus attachments. But cooking a potjie with gas is cheating anyway...

No.3 pot is the all rounder.

Weve got both. Flat and 3 leg. We seldom these days do on fire/coals.
    Gas so much easier. But when I do on gas stove in kitchen. The flat one works best as the legs makes marks on stainless top.

No food taste as nice as when made in a cast iron.
    Try get a bestduty.

Some people buy the new once with ceramic inside. Just get the normal one.

Beforehand I spray mine with Spray and cook. Close lid and let stand a bit.
    Then oil and rest. Cleans much easier afterwards.
    But then again if you burn your potjie food, your rushing too much.

User

On a separate note - Please share how you guys make and maintain your fires for potjie, as this is my first time making it and I don't want the fire too hot or too cold...

Gas is the way to go. Very slow and leave for 3-4 hours.

Ive recently bought a Rocket Stove. From people in SA who makes them.
    +-R300 with shipping. Im planning to give it a try with a potjie on.

Also small pieces of wood to stoke the fire under potjie. Never whole pieces.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MK1 View Post
    On a separate note - Please share how you guys make and maintain your fires for potjie, as this is my first time making it and I don't want the fire too hot or too cold...
    I use wood (black wattle) as its abundant on the farm. I make a small fire the same as if I was doing chops or boerie.

Then when its ready to cook, I put the potjie on and let it heat up. Add my ingredients, then just feed it 2cm in diameter square logs so that the fire keeps going and there is a small flame.

Just judge by the amount the potjie is boiling, its the same as making a stew in a pot on the stove.

User

Awesome, I will give it a try on Sunday and hope for the best.

I'm so flipping hungry right now - all this potjie talk

User

Also making n curry "Skaap-skenkel" potjie Sunday.......... in Marloth park.......... to the tunes of some wildlife..........with a cold beer.

I still have a Falkirk number 3 pot and use the flat bottom one for making pot-brood.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Black-ops View Post
    Also making n curry "Skaap-skenkel" potjie Sunday.......... in Marloth park.......... to the tunes of some wildlife..........with a cold beer.

I still have a Falkirk number 3 pot and use the flat bottom one for making pot-brood.
    Lucky bugger, that sounds amazing.

Enjoy it, Black-ops

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast