Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Geocaching event tonight at Middle North Battery

The site of the old Middle North Battery was the location of an event cache tonight, where the 9 Inch RIFLED MUZZLE LOADING (RML) from 1855 was fired. It was only fired with 5Kg of black powder as a sounding shot, but it was still very impressive. The evening was lovely with fairly mild chilly weather, not too extreme and the moonrise was amazing. It would have been a wonderfully romantic picnic but my wife was working late.
    Unfortunately I left my real camera at home

Then the Navy guys let loose with the guns at Lower North Battery for some night shooting:

My 5 y/o loved the cannon and watching the tracers and flares from LNB, she commented that I need some of those guns for clays :p

Was a great evening out with the little one, all bundled up in our winter woolies and McD hot chocolate. Unfortunately someone was injured in a fall, I don't know how serious - the rumours are everything from broken arm to brains leaking on the floor. The paramedics and an ambulance arrived in very short time. I hope they recover.

Default Re: Geocaching event tonight at Middle North Battery

The Night shooting is part of the annual Navy Festival. Hope you enjoyed it. :)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Red Falcon View Post
    The Night shooting is part of the annual Navy Festival. Hope you enjoyed it. :)
    Yup. Been a long time since I last watched it, but I do a lot of work with the LNB guys as their danger height goes well into the TMA.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayback View Post
    Yup. Been a long time since I last watched it, but I do a lot of work with the LNB guys as their danger height goes well into the TMA.
    Interesting stuff. Whats TMA ? And LNB ? If I may ask ?

User

Lower North Battery. Where the guns are near the main road outside Simonstown.

The Terminal Manouvering Area. The piece of airspace around an airport for vectoring arriving and departing aircraft. It goes down to 2500 feet over False Bay and the danger height over the range is up to 30 000.

User

pearly poachers must have been shitting themselves

Lower North Battery. Where the guns are near the main road outside Simonstown.The Terminal Manouvering Area. The piece of airspace around an airport for vectoring arriving and departing aircraft. It goes down to 2500 feet over False Bay and the danger height over the range is up to 30 000.
    Now this is interesting ! What's your line of work ? ATC ?

User

Yup Tower and Approach at Cape Town.

User

Quote Originally Posted by geopat View Post
    pearly poachers must have been shitting themselves
    Oh if only they would. Would be like those Russian vs pirate videos!

Yup Tower and Approach at Cape Town.
    Nice man... A friend of mine used to work there. Aristide is his name ? Know him ? You lucky , get to see all the aircraft us aviation nuts wish to see all the time .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast