Thread: .44mag Astra

User

Default .44mag Astra

Hi all.

I have an Astra in .44 mag 6" barrel and in Stainless steel. Now my question is, would it be a viable option to mount a scope on this and use it for hand gun hunting or buy a Ruger Red hawk or Black hawk or a S&W in .44 and use that rather.

Thanks in advance

Cheers David.

User

Default Re: .44mag Astra

The Astra is a fairly close copy of the S&W M29 and about as sturdy. Parts are a problem, but using it as a hunting gun you are not all that likely to wear it out. It is a little on the light side for use with optic sights.

If you are taking your handgun hunting serious, I would recommend any of the Rugers. They have thicker cylinder walls and are heavier overall. This helps with handling heavy hunting loads, both in durability and in reducing the wobble you see through the optic.

Also consider the optic mounting options. A mount for the Astra (and S&W) will have to be custom made and screwed on, in place of the rear sight. Some of the Ruger models are built with integral mounts (and the QD rings are supplied). This makes a significant difference when subjected to the continued recoil of hunting loads.

So, my recommendation, based on your stated requirements, would be to find a Ruger Super Redhawk, or a Redhawk with integral mounts, or a Super Backhawk Hunter. These will also allow you to easily remove the optic and revert to open sights, and holster wear, should the need arise. The ruger rings tend to return to zero when properly re-attached. (I would guess you still have a few years of open-sight capability left in your eyes.)

VLT had a stainless Super Blackhawk Hunter, and 454 Casull Super Redhawk under the counter a week or so ago. Prices were as expected considering the current exchange rate...

That 6" Astra would make a very decent secondary hunting gun, with open sights in a good holster.

User

Thanks A-R I might know of a Red Hawk at a dealer near me I'll go and have a look at it in the week.

Cheers David.

User

King David, if you are looking to buy a Ruger Red hawk send me a PM. A friend of mine also has one that he possibly wants to sell.