Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Re: Lies about knife fighting

Someone once wrote something to the effect that using a knife effectively has very little to do with technique and is in fact all about sheer untrammeled aggression and violence.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Someone once wrote something to the effect that using a knife effectively has very little to do with technique and is in fact all about sheer untrammeled aggression and violence.
    My experience as well.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Very accurate.

Stay Bladed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SWF View Post
    Is the Ka Bar TDI (standard) of a decent enough length to serve as a rentention and space creating tool here in SA? I realise it was designed by professionals but it just seems a bit small to my untrained eye. I had the top edge sharpened and it seems quite versitile. The Hinderer TDI Hellfire version looks like a more effective size.

I have done much reading and will be attending my first course this week so I hope to learn more then.
    Standard TDI is fine, you dont have to stab with it, a slice across the neck can reach the external carotid or jugular. Not to mention the vessels close to the surface in the brachial region.

A slash across the stomach leading to a bowel evisceration is another option with a smaller blade.

I read somewhere that cuts to the face are considered a good way to dissuade an attacker.

Stay Bladed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    What would you do then? If running isn't an option and you had to fight of course.
    Like McYoung said, i would still try to get away, that is the most determined and violent person compared to someone who decides to stay and test his skills.

Quote Originally Posted by MK1 View Post
    One also needs to determine if the attack is going to be a committed attack or just a threat with a knife.

The guys that are willing to commit to the attack are usually the guys that have some sort of experience with a knife, and are willing to hurt you badly.

A great carry weapon (besides a knife or FA) is a kusari fundo - which gives you the ability to gain distance between you and the attacker, and will also give you the ability to perform grabs to disarm the attacker and to also take him to the ground while you have control over him arm (it can also bliksem very hard)

Attachment 22394
    And if you have no control over the arm you fight until you get it and get fatigued,if you go to the ground make sure that knife hand stays in yours.

Thanks for those videos guys, big scary ass wake up call.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MK1 View Post
    One also needs to determine if the attack is going to be a committed attack or just a threat with a knife.

The guys that are willing to commit to the attack are usually the guys that have some sort of experience with a knife, and are willing to hurt you badly.

A great carry weapon (besides a knife or FA) is a kusari fundo - which gives you the ability to gain distance between you and the attacker, and will also give you the ability to perform grabs to disarm the attacker and to also take him to the ground while you have control over him arm (it can also bliksem very hard)

Attachment 22394
    I'm not so sure about this weapon. My mind tells me that one might get stuck trying to wangle the blade arm up and that's dodgy. In my opinion, a knife disarm comes after the guy is out of the fight.

User

Quote Originally Posted by wthang View Post
    I'm not so sure about this weapon. My mind tells me that one might get stuck trying to wangle the blade arm up and that's dodgy. In my opinion, a knife disarm comes after the guy is out of the fight.
    I believe its an effective weapon if used correctly - whereby one can trap arms, disarm knives and also be used for serious pounding. Its also great for gaining distance so that one isn't stabbed or cut as close quarters is sometimes a disadvantage. I find it to be quite a versatile object.

In my opinion, the quicker that I can disarm the attacker and take their knife away the better for me, because it then reduces the changes of one being stabbed or cut if the attacker has no weapon to use, and also gives one the opportunity to use the attackers own weapon. The longer the attacker has the weapon in their hand, the more chance you stand of getting hurt - and I believe that the quicker one can react and disarm an attacker, will result in the threat being neutralised ASAP.

I believe that a great amount of attackers are useless without their weapons - No weapon, No fight.

I suppose that every weapon is effective, if used correctly.

User

How do you carry and how do you deploy the kusari fundo quickly if surprised?(ie is it practical?)

User

Thats the point of the article i posted, go actually read it. you will not have time to deploy even a knife if someone is suddenly attacking you with a knife. Get over this "i would use this weapon or that one", you wont be using a weapon, you'll be bleeding. watch the video that Mr.Medic posted, the "Dog catcher" is something a long the lines that needs to be learnt. you need to wtach the the attacker(if you even get the chance) and get that knife away from him/her. if they feel like trying again with another weapon then sort them out, at least this time, after youve gotten up, your firearm should be drawn.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Trayton View Post
    Like McYoung said, i would still try to get away, that is the most determined and violent person compared to someone who decides to stay and test his skills.
    I agree 100% in getting away if you can. The problem is that you can't run backwards faster than he can run forwards, and turning your back to the guy is also dicey, and he may be able to run faster than you anyway. I suppose its a case of there are no guarantees in anyting.

And the "staying and testing your skills" mentality is stupid. You do see it a lot in the young buck types. Marc Denny calls it Male Ritual Heirarchical Combat, which is a natural thing in a pack or tribe, but not when lives are at stake. Usually guys who have trained in practical combat arts for a while know where their skill level lies and are much less inclined to feel the need to test themselves, since they're doing it in every class. There's a reason that DVD is called Die Less Often

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast