Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How do the birds look for the 2016 Season

Who has been out and about - would appreciate any insight or comments regarding bird populations after the drought. There seem to be FAR fewer birds about this season and I know Wingshooters have asked for a voluntary reduction in bag limits. Any observations would be very welcome.

User

Default Re: How do the birds look for the 2016 Season

I have never seen so many geese on the farms as this year. Of course their numbers may be a result of more concentration around the larger dams in the area. I think we will be having an excellent winter shooting season. But, we need rain and I pray we get lots of it.

Our Cape Francolin are in top shape and their numbers are definately up from last year. This morning I've seen at least three new covies around. I took the picture below earlier this year.

User

Ash, when Bob and I were in Kruger and Sabi Sands late last year/early ths year the Guineas and Frankies that we saw had only two or three chicks per couple - not the usual handfull. Methinks the Wingshooters request is correct, at least for the drier parts of SA.

User

all the comments I have received is that the drought has really effected this years birds.

User

I know of two large shoots in the Free State that have been cancelled outright this year due to the birds numbers being too low. I think bag reduction would be prudent.

User

Country wide I think numbers are definately down, although in the western cape we seem to be okay.

User

As a confirmed bachelor Ash, I naturally assumed you were referring to the single breasted feathered variey rather than the double breasted smooth skinned - which always look fine. Please correct me if Iam wrong.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Thought this was about Moroka Swallows...
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Thought this was about Moroka Swallows...
    She does?
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Started training my pointers on the 2nd April and have been out about 6 times on different farms, about 18 to 20 hours total with on average 3 dogs per session.
    Trained on farms I know well and have a fair idea of bird densities and location at this time of year from previous visits.
    The bird counts are down in terms of # of coveys and covey size.
    I suggest caution as hunting when the birds are under stress could affect not only this season, but the next as well.

Over 45 years of wing shooting, dry and wet seasons many times. In the past the number of wing shooters, say 20 years ago, was low compared to current times. The effects of fewer birds as a result of poor rains was not as serious as so few birds were shot due the low number of hunters.

As wonderful as the increased numbers of hunters has been, great pressure has be placed on the bird population in recent years.
    Over shooting of any game bird, but more so with the territorial game birds like grey wing and red wing could result in serious consequence. If a covey is wiped out it can take several years for a new breeding pair to establish a new covey.
    I personally have decided to only shoot on farms I have surveyed and found good bird densities. The other weekends will be devoted to training my dogs. Being out with my dogs is a source for great satisfaction, irrespective of whether I carry a gun or not.

We must also not become paranoid about the current situation, it will pass, and we must just be a little more conservative this season

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast