User

Default .303 Lee Enfield Erfstuk

Out of the blue today I received an e-mail from one of my nephews from Saudi Arabia!
    He's not an Arab but has been working there for many a year with an Ami engineering company.

Being an 'armed' SA citizen, he is now also being mutilated by the SA firearms laws.

Be that as it may, to my absolute delight he offered me the rifle of my late grandfather as a gift instead of handing it over to SAPS for destruction.
    (Apparenty those old turn of the century .303's are real gems when one's planning the next ATM hit!! So better we get rid of them yes! )

Anyway, I digress. Of course I'd love to have granpa's .303 or P14 as my dad used to call it. Apparently the rifle was 'upgraded' with new woodwork, stock and scope as well as changed to be an EPS now.

Now I am no gun buff and have no knowledge whatsoever on the .303. Does anybody here know what it means to make a .303 a EPS?!

Hi Tactical Dave

He must be referring to the .303 Epps, a slightly improved .303 British cartridge, named after it's Canadian inventor, Ellwood Epps. It cosisted mostly of changing the shoulder angle of the original design - mostly only the P14 rifles were suitable for this conversion as they are basically a copy of the Mauser 98 action (stiffer & stronger than the standard .303 action). Velocity improvement was claimed to be about 15% over the standard .303 round.

Check this site out : www.303british.com