Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default .338 Whats the difference

I see there are like 8 different .338 calibers? Whats the difference and how common is the .338 lapua in SA? Can anyone help?

User

most common here is the 338 wm. the main difference is ballistics ,specifically velocity. the big 338's like the wm and lapua and so on, has a: either you hate them or love them rep about them. big recoil. if you make the step up from the 30 calibres and you consider a 338, you might as well go for 375H&H or Ruger

Truvello in gauteng manufactures a 338 lap sniper. check out their website
    Last edited by 300H&H; 06-04-2010 at 17:00.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by 300H&H View Post
    My wife fell heavily in lust with this machine. The Truvelo reps had to pry her off the gun. They kept saying: "You DO realise how expensive the ammo is that you're blowing downrange 'dame'?"

She didn't care
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

ooooh, i knew a girl like that once!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 300H&H View Post
    most common here is the 338 wm. the main difference is ballistics ,specifically velocity. the big 338's like the wm and lapua and so on, has a: either you hate them or love them rep about them. big recoil. if you make the step up from the 30 calibres and you consider a 338, you might as well go for 375H&H or Ruger

It all depends what you want. Game hunting or just lusting over something. 338 lapua will out shoot the 375 at long range. Hence it is replacing the 50BMG as the US marine long range sniper rifle. Seeing there is a NATO ban on using 50BMG rifles. The finally caved and the 338 is in.

Me, I'll take the 338 lapua magnum any day of the week and twice on Sunday's before I take the 375H&H. Maybe it's because I'm a Special Forces nut and not a big game hunter. Not that the 338 lapua will not take down game like a pro. Nice flat shooter.

Platform I want it in. Accuracy International AWSM. Hmmmmmm......baby! now there is a gun for you.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by potentpoefie View Post
    Platform I want it in. Accuracy International AWSM. Hmmmmmm......baby! now there is a gun for you.
    You will note that I referred to the Truvelo as a "machine"(?)

That is exactly what it is. A magnificent piece of machinery. Less a rifle than a Swiss watch. The action has this precise, silky-smooth movement.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Quote Originally Posted by potentpoefie View Post
    It all depends what you want. Game hunting or just lusting over something. 338 lapua will out shoot the 375 at long range. Hence it is replacing the 50BMG as the US marine long range sniper rifle. Seeing there is a NATO ban on using 50BMG rifles. The finally caved and the 338 is in.

Me, I'll take the 338 lapua magnum any day of the week and twice on Sunday's before I take the 375H&H. Maybe it's because I'm a Special Forces nut and not a big game hunter. Not that the 338 lapua will not take down game like a pro. Nice flat shooter.

You will find that most .375 H&H owners have one for the ability to legally hunt Dangerous Game, and drop anything with it, and not for it's long Range Capabilities.
    Personally if I wanted a non dangerous game long range hitter, I'd get the 300WM.
    It's just a calibre that appeals to me.
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Hey Guys, you need to know that you will be moving on the the very dark side of recoil. Which is cool, but be warned. if this will be a primary hunting arm, then rather go for a 338 win mag ( ouch anyway) or a 300 Win Mag ( ouch after 5 shots).

If you want it for a plaything, then go for it.
    I still need, a 444 Marlin lever action, a 300 H & H, a 416 Rigby, a Ruger Sp 101 357. a 243, a 375 etc etc. So i understand your needs man. I feel you.

User

I'll take a 338-378 Weatherby thank you very much *efg*

And if I can choose the Package I'll take the Weatherby TRM *drool worthy*
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Speed Freak!
    You know where to find me! Kalahari Arms CC Weatherby Agents!
    Simple is always better !

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast