Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Default Re: SD Ammo that "demonstrate outstanding terminal performance"

Gold Dots are my preferred SD ammo, run to Dave Sheer and get ASAP, they don't hang around for long

Just checked, still have both 124gr and 147gr in 9mmP

Price on them?

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cobus s View Post
    Price on them?

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk
    You obviously have a phone. Call the shop.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Good afternoon,

Im not sure if this is the right thread to ask this question but i have searched the site and cant really find the information i am looking for.

With regards to 9mm SD ammunition there are a number of options available and i was wondering if there is a big difference in the performance of different weights of bullets and what this ultimately means for the user.

Assuming the 115gr, 124gr, & 147gr are all loaded with the same charge of P. Each projectile will perform differently when fired from the same firearm, in other words the same length barrel and breech etc. From what i have been able to find the different projectiles will have different velocity and strike with more energy.

I have spoken to a few different people about what they use and they can all tell me what they carry but cant tell me why one is better than another other than just personal preference and "penetration". but surely they all penetrate??

But what does this mean in a self defense context?
    Is the recoil vastly different? (I have only shot with 115gr and 124gr and found them very manageable)
    SD ammunition shouldn't over penetrate given how it expanding but can this still happen?
    Is one weight better for a type of firearm, sub-compact, compact, full size etc?

Am i over thinking this?

"Personal Preference" is a mantra used when people don't understand why they do or don't do a thing or why one this is better than another. Or where they cannot explain it.

Don't concern yourself with "strike energy" or kinetic energy. It is, in a terminal ballistics context when it comes to handguns largely irrelevant.

Yes all bullets will penetrate, the question is will they do it enough. The FBI, who pretty much set the standard on this sort of testing regard penetration of between 12 and 18 inches as adequate.

Different bullet weights will absolutely not have the same charge.

Felt recoil is largely the same in 9x19.

You may find that heavy for caliber bullets perform better and are more reliable in sub compact guns due to lower slide velocity.

Hollow point ammunition can still over penetrate if the bullet fails to expand or travels through a target of inadequate depth.

You have to ensure that your gun runs with the ammo that you choose. Your gun, not your mates gun that is the same.

You want to run at the very least 50 rounds through your gun, more is better.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by DMeek View Post
    Assuming the 115gr, 124gr, & 147gr are all loaded with the same charge of P. Each projectile will perform differently when fired from the same firearm, in other words the same length barrel and breech etc. From what i have been able to find the different projectiles will have different velocity and strike with more energy.

The Luckygunner 9mm tests give a bit of an indication when the same type of rounds with differing weights are fired into the same type of gel blocks

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...tic-tests/#9mm

This video also shows all the different HST weights being fired into the same gel block

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    "Personal Preference" is a mantra used when people don't understand why they do or don't do a thing or why one this is better than another. Or where they cannot explain it.

Don't concern yourself with "strike energy" or kinetic energy. It is, in a terminal ballistics context when it comes to handguns largely irrelevant.

Yes all bullets will penetrate, the question is will they do it enough. The FBI, who pretty much set the standard on this sort of testing regard penetration of between 12 and 18 inches as adequate.

Different bullet weights will absolutely not have the same charge.

Felt recoil is largely the same in 9x19.

You may find that heavy for caliber bullets perform better and are more reliable in sub compact guns due to lower slide velocity.

Hollow point ammunition can still over penetrate if the bullet fails to expand or travels through a target of inadequate depth.

You have to ensure that your gun runs with the ammo that you choose. Your gun, not your mates gun that is the same.

You want to run at the very least 50 rounds through your gun, more is better.
    Thanks for the info and the advice. I will need to run more of my carry ammo through my EDC as you raise such a good point on the issue of reliability of a chosen brand. I tend not to shoot too much of the carry ammo due to the cost, but one should "pay the school fees" early on and ensure that my FA digests it properly!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Mark357 View Post
    The Luckygunner 9mm tests give a bit of an indication when the same type of rounds with differing weights are fired into the same type of gel blocks

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...tic-tests/#9mm
    Thanks, i found this really interesting and it pretty much answers the questions i have and then some. What i did find interesting was that not all of the SD ammo expands all of the time, not sure why this is.

Quote Originally Posted by DMeek View Post
    What i did find interesting was that not all of the SD ammo expands all of the time, not sure why this is.

Most probably imperfections in manufacture
    Some tests have a whole batch number that does not expand at all, while another batch does so perfectly.
    Other times its one or 2 in a test
    Sometimes they all work 100%

Some Ranger T's were found to have much too thick a jacket in one batch and did not expand in any test.

With clothing test some become clogged with clothing fibres and cannot expand.
    Hence why ones like Hornady fill the cavity with a plug to prevent that

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6