Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    User

Default Re: "combat worthy/ready" civvie AR's

How about our local DM4? Although it just entered the market, how are general shooters' feelings about it?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Milspec shmilspec. If you know anything about guns you'll know that a top tier civilian product is quite often built to a higher standard.
    Although it has become a habit for me and WZ to disagree on a lot of things, the above says just about all there is to say.

If I were forced into combat and had the choice between using a mil spec rifle built by the lowest bidder according to 1970 specs and a civvie AR built with premium components and materials, my choice would be simple.

In Book of the AR vol 4 Patrick Sweeney puts a large selection of AR's (some of them downright budget guns) through a series of disgustingly abusive tests. He included a mil spec Colt as a control. The funny thing is that all the rifles survived and in fact exceeded expectations. The Colt performed exactly as the other guns did, and he went out of his way to try and find what would stop an AR. He was not trying to prove his own theory about what constitutes a good / better than thou rifle, He tried everything short of just beating it to pieces with a hammer, and all the guns passed with flying colours. To answer the OP's question: Any reliable rifle is worthy of being used in combat and will serve its owner well. If that is not the answer he was looking for he should ask a different question.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tango Sierra View Post
    I'm sorry, I wasn't aware of that. I presume that nobody's come up with a more recent version?
    The author's original place for the chart was a Google Docs spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...=5&output=html

But the unintended consequence of [consumers being informed by the Chart] is companies treating the Chart as a checklist for their production instead of simply making a quality product. That has to stop, and for now the only way to address that is to remove [the Chart]. Thank you for your understanding and patience.
    The author updated the doc in 2012 to say that he's abandoning the project for lack of time and interest.

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    Although it has become a habit for me and WZ to disagree on a lot of things
    ? It has?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

? It has?
    On some things yes, but we haven't discussed religion for some time now...

But if I ever have to be wrong about something you are the last person I would try and debate over it. (Thinly veiled compliment)

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    On some things yes, but we haven't discussed religion for some time now...

But if I ever have to be wrong about something you are the last person I would try and debate over it. (Thinly veiled compliment)
    If it helps, I don't really remember anymore.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Milspec shmilspec. If you know anything about guns you'll know that a top tier civilian product is quite often built to a higher standard.
    WZ probably remembers that we disagree a lot :)

But I'm with him on this

User

There are those who see Milspec as the benchmark to cut corners and produce something near it, with cost cutting measures. And those who see it as a starting point to exceed.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7