Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Walk and stalk bush pig in daylight

Good day to you all members.

I need some advice and knowledge, please. I will be visiting a good friend in the Nylstroom area this coming weekend.

He has a tremendous problem with bush pig eating everything he plants , the pigs are scared of nothing, he does not have dogs on his farm. They even come to his front door during the early hours and at knight. So the pigs walks around daylight as well. I want to walk and stalk them . Any advice /strategy I need to consider? At this stage no feeding spot is made , not enough time....what do I look for ? except the bush pigs ....noise, sounds, scrape marks?

I would appreciate any advice ....

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: Walk and stalk bush pig in daylight

I have nothing constructive to add except to say you lucky sod :)
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    I have nothing constructive to add except to say you lucky sod :)
    It is nice when your friend begs you to come and shoot every bush pig for free....

User

Large caliber rifle, watering hole and patience.

On the farm we occasionally have some problems with bush-pigs/warthogs destroying the crops during dry season.
    So go pick out a spot close to the nearest watering hole, or maybe in your case, places where they are usually seen, between 6-9am and late afternoon (hour or 2 before sunset) and get ready to shoot at a moving target.

best of luck.

User

diehelislos
    Thank you , there are two natural springs in the veld , where they frequently destroy the natural vegetation, it is unbelievable what damage these pigs are doing to a piece of natural veld....according to my friend, there are two huge boars roaming around his house early in the mornings...he expresses these two boars are really huge!!!!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    diehelislos
    Thank you , there are two natural springs in the veld , where they frequently destroy the natural vegetation, it is unbelievable what damage these pigs are doing to a piece of natural veld....according to my friend, there are two huge boars roaming around his house early in the mornings...he expresses these two boars are really huge!!!!
    Nice!!
    Just be quiet and patient, get comfortable, enjoy the early morning and the surrounding nature, then usually after an hour they show up...

Remember sending us some of that kabernosi/salami/cheesegrillers

User

Gert. I have bumped into quite a few bushpig in daylight, but mostly that was in heavy overcast weather. Bushpigs don't like sunshine.

I have shot 1 old sow in broad daylight, around 16.00 in winter. She was raiding some mealies, but kept in the weed-overgrown patches. The first shot was about 2m from me, so about 1m from the muzzle, after flushing her out with some help. Scary stuff.

Another old boar was shot at about 16.30, after flushing the whole sounder out of a reed thicket, where they were probably sleeping.

My opinion is that bushpig will not voluntarily leave cover while the sun is shining. When the sun sets, and the air cools down, they will start moving.

Doing some recon before actually hunting them might pay off handsomely. Find their usual routes, they are creatures of habit if undisturbed. Set a timer-trap on their route. A cheap analogue clock, with the tripwire wound around the battery, will tell you when they have passed. A trailcam works much better of course. If possible, use one that will alert you by sending a photo. Then you can monitor them from the comfort of your host's lounge.

Bushpig are mostly shot over bait. This will not work if there is plenty food available. You will have to stalk them. You should be able to hear them feeding. While they are making noise, you can move (quietly). Every now and then, they will all freeze and listen. You should then freeze too. When they resume feeding, you move again. If they smell or hear you, everything will just go quiet, and stay that way for a few days.

If you disturb them, they will change their habits. Make sure your first attempt pays off!

Good luck!

User

Wow this sounds like an amazing challenge let us know how you get on

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Gert. I have bumped into quite a few bushpig in daylight, but mostly that was in heavy overcast weather. Bushpigs don't like sunshine.

I have shot 1 old sow in broad daylight, around 16.00 in winter. She was raiding some mealies, but kept in the weed-overgrown patches. The first shot was about 2m from me, so about 1m from the muzzle, after flushing her out with some help. Scary stuff.

Another old boar was shot at about 16.30, after flushing the whole sounder out of a reed thicket, where they were probably sleeping.

My opinion is that bushpig will not voluntarily leave cover while the sun is shining. When the sun sets, and the air cools down, they will start moving.

Doing some recon before actually hunting them might pay off handsomely. Find their usual routes, they are creatures of habit if undisturbed. Set a timer-trap on their route. A cheap analogue clock, with the tripwire wound around the battery, will tell you when they have passed. A trailcam works much better of course. If possible, use one that will alert you by sending a photo. Then you can monitor them from the comfort of your host's lounge.

Bushpig are mostly shot over bait. This will not work if there is plenty food available. You will have to stalk them. You should be able to hear them feeding. While they are making noise, you can move (quietly). Every now and then, they will all freeze and listen. You should then freeze too. When they resume feeding, you move again. If they smell or hear you, everything will just go quiet, and stay that way for a few days.

If you disturb them, they will change their habits. Make sure your first attempt pays off!

Good luck!
    Stalking them while feeding is an adrenaline rush. Was able to stalk tow bush pigs feeding in Hoedspruit up to 30 meters. They are almost deaf when feeding but when they stop it is very quiet, therefore move slowly.

Try and see where they come from using the waterhole as reference.

Shoot straight and enjoy you luck sod.

P.S did you really come for advice or to make us jealous

User

I dunno Gert, depending on your time frame this could be a very hard thing to do.
    I agree with A-R, in our location they sleep in their reed/bush dens and only feed at night. Even if you surprise them during the day you get one shot while they spark, and they can run.

Even if you visit frequent feeding spots finding the pigs there at night is no guarantee. That said it's still your best bet, spend the day looking for the feeding spot and try and ambush them at night. I mean you mentioned they feed on his crops, start there.
    Last edited by Messor; 31-05-2016 at 10:31.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast