Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    User

Default Decent Hunting Boots

I have been through a few different makes.
    Hitec I found to be comfortable but did not last with the walking I do.
    Older model CAT'S held up, but was ridiculously heavy and my feet were really sore after a long day.
    Redback slip ons are very comfortable, but offer no ankle support.

That leaves me with a question. I have started hunting more in rocky/ mountainous areas and less on the plains. I have really week ankles, having torn the ligaments and dislocated my one ankle a few times. Now I love the Redbacks, but with their lack of ankle support I often "go over" on my ankles and it has become tough hunting with a swollen ankle. What boots do you wear that is comfortable enough to walk in all day in rough terrain yet offers good ankle support?

My friend is trying to get me to try newer CAT'S or Merrels but I have had bad luck with those brands, having gone through 3 sets each in the space of 2 months due to breakage.

Any reccomendations will be appreciated
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: Decent Hunting Boots

Courtney's, try their patrol boot gives nice ankle support, made from soft, thick leather they are very comfy. http://www.courteneyboot.com/product...rteney-patrol/
    Just got myself a new pair.

They have a wide range of boots that will do though. I've hunted with their warrior boot for a number of years on some rough terrain, they've held up to Sas hikes and only just been retired after more than 10yrs as the stitching eventually went.

Edit: they are not cheap but considering the quality it's worth it.

User

Courteney boots are nice, I have a pair of their Settlers.

Banned

If you can find Meindls you have the best that money can buy. They are ideal for wide and high feet.

They are located in Austria and I do no know whether they export to SA.

User

Salomons! I've got the Salomon X-Ultra Mid GTX and they are incredible!
    Great support, as comfortable as a high end running shoe, and and water resistant.

User

Quote Originally Posted by marshy View Post
    Salomons! I've got the Salomon X-Ultra Mid GTX and they are incredible!
    Great support, as comfortable as a high end running shoe, and and water resistant.
    This, they are 100 times more rugged than you would think. Also waterproof and great ankle support

User

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    Courtney's, try their patrol boot gives nice ankle support, made from soft, thick leather they are very comfy. http://www.courteneyboot.com/product...rteney-patrol/
    Just got myself a new pair.

They have a wide range of boots that will do though. I've hunted with their warrior boot for a number of years on some rough terrain, they've held up to Sas hikes and only just been retired after more than 10yrs as the stitching eventually went.

Edit: they are not cheap but considering the quality it's worth it.
    I have a pair of Courtney vellies that I wear almost daily. It is by far the most comfortable shoes I own.

User

I use Hitek PCT as my hiking and hunting boots. The steelplate in the sole make its easy for walking on sharp and round rocks and stones. Last me about 8 years and sides getting torn from over use, Done the Otter, Harkerville, Tistsikamm, Groendal etc

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    If you can find Meindls you have the best that money can buy. They are ideal for wide and high feet.

They are located in Austria and I do no know whether they export to SA.
    Absolutely, Meindls or Lowas, only concern is they may be too well insulated for Africa, might get a bit hot.
    I used to swear by Jim Greens and Courtenays but since a mate convinced me to try Lowas I will not go back for a bush boot, especially here in NZ where the winter climate can be a bit cooler and wetter!
    I still wear a pair of Jim Green Vellies to work everyday, believe it or not, vellies are the height of fashion here, known as desert boots!

User

I've done over 1000kms in the New Zealand mountains with my Lowa Tibets. They've just been resoled, so with any luck theres another 5-6 years in them.

That said, Spudattack is right... I've hunted with my Lowas on two occasions in Africa and they were pretty toasty ... I'd happily use them again in Africa (because they're what I have), but there are better choices for that environment.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast