Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default .357 for 2'' snubbie- What and where??

Hi All.

Here we go again. I need carry ammo for my 2'' Snubbie .357. First question where can I find decent ammo and what should I be aiming for?? Weight and make and places to shop where I can find the ammo in JHB. I dont want reloads for SD and would like hollowpoints if I can find.

Currently I have Magtec 158g Semi jacket Lead Point but hope to find something better.

Please please help

User

Mate if .38 specil is anything to go by why dont you try pmp sjhp?

the .38 special sjhp are hot (have heard hotter than international +p) and apparently perform well!

Not sure on 357 though!

User

In 357 I prefer 145gr and heavier jhps. In a snub especially a J frame size revolver I would probably load up with a 38Spl +P jhp for the greater controllability. Southern had some Golden Sabres last time I checked.

Banned

Anybody have any experience with the Speer Gold Dot for short barreled firearms?
    I see they have a 135gr load for the 357 magnum.
    I'm a big fan of Speer Gold Dots.
    Don't know where to get them though. If anybody knows I'll be a very happy camper. I need in 9mm, 45, 40, 357 and 38. Why not in 32acp as well. :) Gold dots for all my guns. merry xmas to everyone.

Sorry lost the plot there for a second.

User

I wish someone would bring in more .38 158gr +P lead hollowpoints. (Remington please)
    I have a box of winchester and am onto the last few.

If I was carrying my S&W M19 21/2 inch it would probably be those.
    Or 145gr Silvertips if I wanted full power.

User

Quote Originally Posted by potentpoefie View Post
    Anybody have any experience with the Speer Gold Dot for short barreled firearms?
    I see they have a 135gr load for the 357 magnum.
    I'm a big fan of Speer Gold Dots.
    Don't know where to get them though. If anybody knows I'll be a very happy camper. I need in 9mm, 45, 40, 357 and 38. Why not in 32acp as well. :) Gold dots for all my guns. merry xmas to everyone.

Sorry lost the plot there for a second.
    PP
    There are .40S&W 165gr GD's available at the moment, none of the rest though. The shipment will hopefully be here soon though. Not a good idea to carry any type of JHP in .32ACP, the caliber just doesn't have the required penetration to do much good with a JHP, 71gr ball would be far better, esp if you can find the 'hotter' FN ball.

There is a decent variety of .357 Mag JHP's available, I have seen Federal Hydra-shoks, WW Silvertips and a few others fairly recently. Ideally a 158gr JHP would be better, but BigT's idea of the .38Spl +P Remington GS is a good one.

What gun are you shooting?

I would recommend using full power 357 mag ammon - this is for carry/ self densense only, so you will not be firing many of tese loads through the gun, although you should fire a few cylinders full just to get the feel of the recoil.

I would suggest that you look at a 125 grn hollow point. I diverge from the momentum (weight being all important0 boys here, and never shall the 2 meet.

However despite whatever ammo you sellect, the most important thing is that you do your bit. Hits in the hand with the very best ammo is going to do nothing to stop an attacker. Conversely a few well placed center of mass hits is going to leave your attacker with aserious problem. Practice and skill remain much more important factors than what ammo you are using!

Magnum snubbies can be brutal to shoot with full magnum loads, and medium or small frame revolvers will not take as many such rounds as larger revolvers will before the possibility of problems with wear and tear. Back in the day, when revolvers were mandated at my agency, we used to issue first the 125gr Magnum loads, and later, when we learned better, the 145gr Silvertips or 158gr JHPs.

The guys who carried M19 / 66 2 1/2in. guns did manage to qualify but that was mostly because we limited their magnum rounds to the 18 thry were required to carry and let them use +P .38s for the other 30-42 rounds (depending on the course being fired) The guys using full size guns shot the whole course with magnum rounds and even the 4in medium frame guns were not easy to handle.

Slow followup shots, sticky ejection of cases (remember, the ejector rod of the snub is not long enough to push magnum cases all the way out of the gun) and generally poor performance from shooters was the order of the day with these little revolvers when loaded with magnum rounds. More effective shot for shot? Yes. 'Better' as a fighting handgun for the vast majority of the guys who carried them? Not even close. I saw every one of them shoot every course I designed because I was range master and in charge of all firearms training...for many years.

IMO you are handicapped enough by virtue of the fact that all you have is a snub revolver. Take T's advice and go with the best .38+P load you can find, which currently will likely be the GS. If you must, keep a speedloader with 145-158gr. magnums as a backup should you need more penetration.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Thanks for the advice.

To answer Glock Goblin I am shooting a stainless Taurus 617, 7 shot. I know what you say Ikor that it is a hard thing to contol. I did not know better when i bought it 11 years ago. Now in retro spec I should have gone with something different.

Bredank- Can you tell me where you saw the amo that you are reffering to?

Now another question - How do I get rid of my piece and get somthing better? I do not want to be disarmed for any amount of time while waiting for the new application to get approved. How do I go about this?? I still want to be able to carry the new one as a SD weapon.

Do I go for a Glock?? or what else would you suggest? Small compact, but still shootable.

G19, or G23 ??? Availibility of ammo, parts, relability???
    I dont want to buy again go through all the work and effort and buy something that is not worth it , again!!

Thanks again for the help.

You are far from defensless with your revolver, and more so provided you train with it. I advise you to contact SWATG (he is in PTA and you do not show your location) for his basic class as a good start...well worth it IMO.

Others more well versed in the licensing process should be along soon to give you info on that but my understanding is that it is possible to keep your revolver while the license for the new pistol makes its forever and a day trip through the system.

I wouold really recommend you shoot several different pistols before making another choice but I do think a great place to start would be with the G17 / 19 and the M&P in 9mm. There are other good ones out there for sure but IMO these are very hard to beat for the money and are supported well in SA. And yes, I recommend you start with a 9mm.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast