Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    User

Quote Originally Posted by jdpretorius View Post
    TStone, the batch I had issues with didn't expend more than 30% at a 100m when running a MV of 2900 fps....this is was when hitting bone.
    The "plunger" tip also came undone when seating them in a Redding competition die. Lastly the weigh difference between bullets in 1 packet was as much as 2+ gr and tolerances of base to ogive was really poor.
    Honestly I've been apprehensive to dump money in the VLR4's
    I picked up what must've been some of the final batches of VRG4 (as replacement for my Interbonds which were running low, and which by early last year was not available), and I can honestly say I've not seen any of the physical and geometric issues you mention. I've not had the chance to test them on game though, as I still need to complete load development, and because I've still got at least 1 hunt worth of Interbonds left.

User

Default Re: Hunting Eland - what bullet?

Messor, I was hoping you have played a bit. As I shoot with a suppressor, the recoil is really mild on the bench but a bit uncomfortable shooting prone. I'm already running a 20 MOA rail but the scope is the limiting factor as it is only 40 MOA. If zeroed at 350m then it might be achievable
    Regarding the Accubond 250 gr; you unfortunately only gain 0.025 BC on the 225's which roughly translates to perhaps -50m at the transonic zone but you loose 100 fps due to the weight difference. Sure, 250 gr is perhaps better suited for Eland but proper/selective shot placement with the 225 gr shouldn't be an issue. The 225's groups 0.3 MOA which is brilliant though.

I had a look at the Berger Tactical (250 gr @ 0.682 BC) which has a bit shorter bearing surface and easier to tune with regards to jump...they might achieve 2720+ fps. This is great but (limeted) reports are that they do not expand reliably. Their price is also not that sweet.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    I picked up what must've been some of the final batches of VRG4 (as replacement for my Interbonds which were running low, and which by early last year was not available), and I can honestly say I've not seen any of the physical and geometric issues you mention. I've not had the chance to test them on game though, as I still need to complete load development, and because I've still got at least 1 hunt worth of Interbonds left.
    Pirate, my batches was at the very least from 3 or 4 years back. I know that they had some QC issues at a stage, so I might just have been unlucky to get some of those.
    No promises, but perhaps I still have a recovered bullet somewhere from a shot that was taken quartering away and ended up in the spine of a red hartebeest.

User

I have used 150gr Rhino solid shank from my 308 successfully on Eland. Stalk in close as slip it behind the shoulder. I passed through and the Eland make it 30m.
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Pirate, by chance I found one of the VRG4's that "did not expand" sufficiently in my view, at a
    MV of 2900 fps, as mentioned before.

Attachment 29888

Banned

That bullet did expand to more than caliber size and seems to have lost petals on one side. Did it hit bone?

User

Oom driepootx, yes, it was a quartering away shot that penetrated just above the hart and was recovered in the spine

User

Quote Originally Posted by jdpretorius View Post
    Pirate, by chance I found one of the VRG4's that "did not expand" sufficiently in my view, at a
    MV of 2900 fps, as mentioned before.

Attachment 29888
    I would be perfectly happy with that performance. That is typical of VRG4 expansion.

I have killed close to 350 game animals with Peregrine bullets and on only two occasions did bullets not quickly kill when placed correctly. Both were blesbuck shot at 350m+ with VRG4 bullets.

User

I suppose it's a case of what each guy is comfortable with.
    For me that is not acceptable, especially if a shot placement is marginal.
    I get that big rattle and shake bad when hunting, more so if I have to hunt off the back of a bakkie or under pressure to take a shot.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    "Gert" and "eland" brings the next question to mind: has anyone hunted eland with a Matini-Henry and what were the results?
    Jaap, die Martini Henry is deur Dr. Lucas Potgieter en vriende gebruik om eland en talle ander spesies te jag . As ek reg kan onthou, ek kan verkeerd wees het hulle in Mosambiek Eland en Buffel met die MH gejag..ek sal daardie artikel probeer opspoor...I really think when you get near enough to the game like we do it in the Black Powder hunts I really do not forseen any problems shooting an Eland, if you have a good shot placement...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7