Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Hunting Eland - what bullet?

Thank you for the latest advice.
    @pre 64 - bought what I could at the time so for the range and then some for hunting. Price was an influence too

User

Barnes TSX 286grain giving a 1" group.
    Think than answers my question after all the advice combined.
    Can't get the PMP under 2" yet.
    The Hornady is at 1.5"
    So will work on them and use them for the range.

User

Can't go wrong with that
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

All this excellent informative advice from the members will be a waste if there are no photos and a story about how you hunted the Eland. Bullet recovery will be a bonus after an excellent shot placement on the Eland...please give us feedback when you completed the hunt...

Banned

"Gert" and "eland" brings the next question to mind: has anyone hunted eland with a Matini-Henry and what were the results?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    "Gert" and "eland" brings the next question to mind: has anyone hunted eland with a Matini-Henry and what were the results?
    Depends.... you might go for a headshot and hit the shoulder.
    It would be an interesting attempt.
    It's just not a very fast bullet though, so distance would have to be minimal.

Banned

My question is based on the old assumption that slow and heavy is good for hunting, and there are few things slower and heavier than 450gr@1300 fps. Accuracy is not my biggest concern because it speaks for itself that one will get really close for a broadside/shoulder shot with a M-H. I am worried more about penetration?

User

Ds J.......i have shot a few kudu bulls with 240gr lead bullets at 1350fps from my redhawk and have never had a penetration problem. i have also shot a few bushpig with my .458 2 inch with subsonic loads of a 420gr bullet at 1020fps and have had full penetration from front to back and back to front and all sorts of angles in between. also a lead cast bullet. just remember.....same as a handgun.....you are poking a big hole through the animal.choose your shot. about a year ago i had to kill an impala ram that had a brocken foot - i drove up to the impala with the farmer on a tractor [the impala would totally ignore it] and shot it with the .458 subsonic behind the shoulder from 12m. the impala,believe it or not,strolled off for 5m and started grazing. i got a wtf look from the farmer but after having a nibbly the ram lay down and died.total time ...maybe 30sec from shot to death.

Banned

Pre, thanks for answering. It means that the slow-and-heavy of a M-H has more than enough killing and penetrating power, at least at shorter ranges. If 420gr@1020fps penetrates a bush pig front-to-back then 400gr@1400fps will be sufficient for a broadside eland shot.

I think it is time to start looking for a Martini-Henry .

User

Ds J....yip....i reckon you will have more than enough oomph to do the job. while i have brocken BOTH shoulders on a kudu bull with the 44 i would try to avoid the massive shoulder bone of an eland bull. but the same holds true on most rifle / calibre combo"s. this is something you must keep us updated on. regards

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast