Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Which PCP for hunting

Hi I am looking at getting a good .22 PCP to go with my Weiraunch HW97K but am not sure which to go for as there are too many options. I am looking for something as quiet as possible with >30-35ft/lb, good shot numbers per fill, light for all day use, and highly accurate considering a hunting range of 80-100m. I am leaning to the Weiraunch as it comes with a lot of accessories but am not sure on the other models as perhaos they are better?. Models under consideration: Weiraunch HW100S, Daystate Wolverine 303 hi light, Air Arms S510, Daystate wolverine A-type. Advise from thos who own such models would be greatly appreciated.

User

Default Re: Which PCP for hunting

As far as I know, hunting with a .22 air rifle is illegal.

User

Depends on what you want to hunt. Pigeons, mice, myna and even the occasional pest should all be fine.

Personally, I like the air arms range of rifles.

User

Correction pest control, mice and rats in feedlots.

User

Air Arms Hunting sa (https://www.youtube.com/user/MoshDubber) reviewed most of those you descuss

User

Had an S510 Air Arms. Deadly accurate rifle. Only issue is the size of the air reservoir. If your using it for 'pest control', you might need a few more shots out of a fill. I'd suggest a Daystate all day long.

User

This is a 'how long is a piece of string' discussion, unless budget is listed.

Unfortunately, TOP OF THE RANGE air rifles cost big money. Trust fund money!

Having said this...

To me, the ultimate 'hunting' air rifle is one that is easy to handle and compact.

A silenced conventional design air rifle tends to end up handling like a pantechnicon in a parking lot. The HW 100 (of which I have owned 3 in the past), the Daystates and esp. the Air Arms rifles (of which I have owned numerous) end up like broomsticks.

Hence, my ABSOLUTE endorsement of the bullpup style rifles for carry and field application.

If I had to choose ONE rifle I would go for the Kalibrgun Cricket. 300 bar fill, regulated and mechanically as good as the HW100, AND well-backed by the distributors makes it a good buy. I don't know what a new one will cost, but good quality second hand you are looking in the region of around R25K. A ridiculous shot count is delivered due to the 300 bar fill, and cranking the power up gets you a tack-driver with an 18gr pellet shooting around the 950fps range. That translates into 36 foot pounds of energy. More than enough for ANYTHING you may want to take with an air rifle.

Daystate and AA have UGLY bullpups... in the region of R40K new (or more).

The cricket can also handle a bit of 'field wear', whereas a fancy walnut or wooden stock requires kid gloves out in the bush... which is impractical.

Now... to throw a droll into the drinkwater...

I own an SPA P12. It is the most basic rifle you could ever wish to find. With a nominal amount of cost and effort, I have turned it into an ABSOLUTE keeper. As I have said, I have owned AA, HW and Steyrs, so my depth of comparison is valid.

It has a titanium air reservoir and original tolerances are a tad 'loose'. The barrels are either good or bad. I happened to get a dud barrel. After replacing it with a 'scrap' Lothar Walther barrel, cutting off the choke and re-crowning (R800), I now have a VERY accurate, easy to handle hunting gun. I cloverleaf 5 shots off my knee at 80m with ease. 60m pellet-on-pellet is a piece of takkie, so I can confidently do pip shots at this distance on anything resembling a live beastie. More than enough shot count at around 900 fps with 16gr pellets... 40 or so before POI shifts.

A new one will cost in the region of around R7-8K. What is required is to replace the barrel, add a plenum and a few minor tweeks. Total cost would probably be in the region of around R12K - and you can enjoy a hookers and weed party with the change over the Cricket or the other 'Luxury' brands. Also, considering the capital invested, I don't have to worry if I happen to ding the stock, or have to rest the gun on a rock to take advantage of the ideal shot... if you get my drift.

It is also mouse-fart quiet with my Tula silencer on, and around 700mm total length.

If you are in Johannesburg, contact me and you can try out my P12, as well as the Cricket, some Theobens and a Daystate or two.

If the Yeti could pitch in here too.....?

You may also consider restricting yourself to .177, if pestco... rats, mice and the odd mynah are your primary quarry.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Proudprado View Post
    As far as I know, hunting with a .22 air rifle is illegal.
    Ok. Lets call it pest control. - legal

User

Check out Teds holdover channel on youtube. He has reviewed and shown "hunting" video's
    featuring just about every air-rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/user/EdgunUSA/featured

Get the HW 100 in 5.5 if you want a PCP. They are regulated out of box. So all your shots will the same.
    Air Arms is unregulated and most others. So you will have a power curve.
    The HW 100 comes fitted with a Weihrauch silencer. which is very effective.
    In fact many fit it to their other brand PCP's.

I shoot the HW100t FAC in 5.5mm. And with H&N Diabalo barracuda heavy and JSB Exact Jumbo heavy.
    Its one hole groups at 25m easy all day long. Actually boringly accurrate.

Going with a bull pup is maybe nice and compact. Until you use your bipod or on bench and you cant keep it steady.

Matt from Airarmshunting SA on Youtube, recently did review on FX impact which is +-40 000,
    Although he says it brilliantly accurate. HE also says its very difficult to keep steady due to being bullpup and light.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast