Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Blue wildebeest shot placement

Different sources seem to have different placement, so on these two images would the shot placement be correct?Please advise.
    Credit to TStone for the first image.

http://

http://

User

Default Re: Blue wildebeest shot placement

Im on my phone now and cant see your picture but this is where I shoot them.

Low and for the middle of the heart in that picture

Both look like they're correct. The animal is standing at a different angle in each, so vitals will be hit in the same place in both cases.

User

Yes, just used two pics to show different angles.

User

Be careful

Aiming low is only useful when the shot is guaranteed. But if you are shooting from sticks or some unstable platform I would not try and hit the heart dead center, like you are.

Moving your point if impact just a little bit higher, meaning aiming for the top of the heart, gives you more room for error and would still kill the animal every bit as fast as a direct heart shot.
    The main arteries are situated on top and destroying them put's the animal down fast, missing them still means a shot in the middle of the lungs.

User

Thanks Messor. The first pic, given the angle, should it move back or is it okay?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    Thanks Messor. The first pic, given the angle, should it move back or is it okay?
    I'd leave it right there, and just aim 2 inches higher if required depending on the distance and shooting platform.
    Up to date I have seen a couple of people miss low because they have studied these animal charts and try and hit the heart orientated low in the chest.

For the average person the vitals are big when you aim in the middle of them.

User

But since it's Mr Stone's pic lets get him to comment on his animal :)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Be careful

Aiming low is only useful when the shot is guaranteed. But if you are shooting from sticks or some unstable platform I would not try and hit the heart dead center, like you are.

Moving your point if impact just a little bit higher, meaning aiming for the top of the heart, gives you more room for error and would still kill the animal every bit as fast as a direct heart shot.
    The main arteries are situated on top and destroying them put's the animal down fast, missing them still means a shot in the middle of the lungs.
    +100 on shooting higher. I started off hunting and aiming dead center in the body - always got my buck. Aimed for a heart shot at distance and got a streaky brisket - lost that animal. Play safe and allow for wonkier shot placement.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Be careful

In my experience, a shot just above the heart, through the big arteries and the lungs, kill just as quickly, if not more so, than a shot to the centre of the heart. So, like Messor said, raise the dot 2".

As a rule of thumb, on the larger antelope, the shot should be placed between 1/3 and 1/2 way up the body.

It is important not to shoot the big antelope too high, it is equally important not to shoot them too low, as pointed out by Driepoot. During the past couple of years we lost two eland that were shot in the brisket. The brisket, on an antelope this large, is deeper than most hunters realise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast