Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Just a few knive I have recently made...

As a hobbyist knife maker with a lot to learn I have made a few knives over the past few weekends..busy with another two to complete this weekend. I would recommend this as a hobby to anyone. Teaches you patience of which I normal have none! Its creative...nothing better than turning an innate piece of steel into a beautiful tool. Really satisfying. I need to learn how to make folders now and then I want to make a few tactical knives to up the "coolness" factor. Thought I would just share...
    Attachment 23002Attachment 23003Attachment 23004

User

Default Re: Just a few knive I have recently made...

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    As a hobbyist knife maker with a lot to learn I have made a few knives over the past few weekends..busy with another two to complete this weekend. I would recommend this as a hobby to anyone. Teaches you patience of which I normal have none! Its creative...nothing better than turning an innate piece of steel into a beautiful tool. Really satisfying. I need to learn how to make folders now and then I want to make a few tactical knives to up the "coolness" factor. Thought I would just share...
    Attachment 23002Attachment 23003Attachment 23004
    Jis. Stunning work man.

Wow. Excellent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW!!!!! Really beautiful work.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

User

Sorry, Desert Rat, but let me get this straight... you do it for a hobby, and you have a lot to learn?????? this is really excellent work!

I am planning to get my @ss on one of the knife making training sessions hosted by the Herbst family.

I have tried my hand at destroying a perfectly good piece of steel, so now I will go learn some tricks of the trade first, and then try again.

Very well done indeed, and keep it up!

Hi

Are those the 12C27 blanks from KMTS?

if indeed, are they heat treated when you buy them?

User

Quote Originally Posted by GerhardG View Post
    Hi

Are those the 12C27 blanks from KMTS?

if indeed, are they heat treated when you buy them?
    No they still need to be heat treated or else the grinding process would be a challenge.

User

Nice work.

No they still need to be heat treated or else the grinding process would be a challenge.
    That's how I see it as well, but I saw video of a pro knife maker recently that does the grind after hardening, safe to say I won't order from him......

I bought 4mm bar stock 14C28N on impulse, googled at home and realised I couldn't properly heat treat it with my equipment.
    Made 2 knives and gave the remainder to my teacher in payment for heat treating the 2 blades

I like some of the kmts blanks, but I'm sticking to steel I can heat treat myself for now.

I assume you guys in SA have enough options when it comes to heat treating?

User

Nothing wrong with grinding pre heat treated steel. I was taught this on my course.it lessens the chance of blades warping as the blank even thickness. The wear on grinding belts is nominal..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast