Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Just a few knive I have recently made...

The blanks i used on the knives are from KMTS in 12c27. I had 2 "firsts" this last weekend...did a D10 handle and textured it with a dremel....made a hybrid tactical hunter and then satin finished the blade...Will try and post pic...on handheld at the moment and somewhat technically challenged on these blerry phones...

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    Nothing wrong with grinding pre heat treated steel. I was taught this on my course.it lessens the chance of blades warping as the blank even thickness. The wear on grinding belts is nominal..
    Other way around....grinding after heat treat......

The heat treat is gone if your blade overheats during the grinding, so you would have to go very slowly....even then it would be very easy to make a mistake as the edge gets thinner.

I saw something about grinder belts that minimize heat in the work piece.

IMO stupid anyway, only gain is clean-up time before and after heat treat.

I've found it saves about 50%+ normal cutting discs if I flatten and in the process anneal the leaf spring I use, and only then cut out the blade shape....saves time as well.

Same obviously with old files, have to be annealed before you can start working them.

Here's an example of heat treat then grinding.....I don't get it.....

User

I'm not a fulltime maker, I drill all the holes and do a 90% grind then heat treat and finish with the final grind. Like I said my knife making is only a hobby. And this method works for me.

Same here on all points

To set the record straight, I watched a video recently that gave another point of view.

This guy makes chef's knives, and he grinds after heat treat, his reason being the knives are so thin they would definitely warp during heat treat.

He does however mention using specific belts and being extremely careful not to overheat the blade while grinding.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    As a hobbyist knife maker with a lot to learn I have made a few knives over the past few weekends..busy with another two to complete this weekend. I would recommend this as a hobby to anyone. Teaches you patience of which I normal have none! Its creative...nothing better than turning an innate piece of steel into a beautiful tool. Really satisfying. I need to learn how to make folders now and then I want to make a few tactical knives to up the "coolness" factor. Thought I would just share...
    Attachment 23002Attachment 23003Attachment 23004
    Aweswome knives DR!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Aweswome knives DR!!
    Do you sell them too?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2