Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Steyr Mod L and SSG 69 Plastic trigger guard/ mag holder made from aluminum (WANTED)

I am sick of my SSG plastic trigger guard/ mag holder always cracking so I have decided to investigate making this item in aluminium. I have the knowledge and people with knowledge and machines to do this.

It has been done before and by two companies that I know of but the one does not do it anymore as I have waited more than 2 years now for them to make up a batch and the other one is very expensive indeed like R8500-10000 once you land it here in SA and that is even if they will ship it to you. I have probably spent over that already in bottom plastic and mag replacement already.

I was thinking of making it accept the AI magazines to get away from the Original Steyr rotary mags that are also always breaking if you ain't careful with them.

I would like to know how many people will be interested in acquiring one of these if I go ahead and make a couple.

Pricing is all going to depend on how many I will have to make. The more I make the cheaper it is going to work out. I want to get it in the 2 grand price range if we make about 10-15 but will all depend on the machine and man hours to do this.

The AI mag will only accept calibres like 308, 243, 22-250, and whatever else that you know of, so if you have this caliber and want a bottom metal then let me know.

The longer actions like 30-06, 300WM, is a different bottom metal(Plastic) and am not going that route now unless the bottom metal is exactly the same width as the smaller action but just longer in size, then it probably won't be too much of a pain to change the program but will need to see how many requests I get for that and then if someone can supply me with a broken bottom plastic and a mag so I can check sizes.

Don't PM for now but post here so we can see how many are interested.

This is only to see who wants thread for now. If I do this I will hopefully have the first prototype in 2 months for trial.

From my side I probably know of 3 that want.

User

Default Re: Steyr Mod L and SSG 69 Plastic trigger guard/ mag holder made from aluminum (WANT

Hello there.
    Have also gotten fed up with the trigger guard release, but then redesigned the lower trigger plate on the mod L 243 to accept the SSG style, side clips, magazine.
    Once the design was complete had it sent to have 3d printed in Steel.
    IMG_3863.jpgIMG_3864.jpg
    3d print.jpg

User

Default Re: Steyr Mod L and SSG 69 Plastic trigger guard/ mag holder made from aluminum (WANT

How much did it cost you to print it?
    have you still got the design?

User

Have the files in .stl and .dwg.. The part has still to be polished and coated.
    Cost was about R5000 printed from tool steel. It was initial proof of concept, and to have a functional rifle.
    With cost of lower receiver about R3000 made from plastic to be replaced every 2 years, would pay that any day.
    At moment trying to get magazine scanned and then printed as well.

User

Price is reasonable considering it is a one off piece. Amazing that one can print in steel now.
    I would love to get my hands on that file. I would probably change it so that the trigger guard can accept the Accuracy International mags.

Who printed the part for you? Do you think they can do it in aluminum? Heard they are printing in Titanium also now. Wonder how expensive that would be?
    If it is the same price as steel then Titanium it is.

User

Would have loved to print the part in titanium, but would have cost about 3 times as much. The part was printed at Stellenbosch university, rapid prototyping department.
    Worked on the design while waiting for licence. They sent the Mod M version instead of Mod L magazine and then had to make it work.
    Have been looking around for magazines that look good to design around for an upgrade, but like the flush look on the rifle.
    Should be able to create a design around the AI mags, will be easier with a square box to work with.
    If you want the files just pop me a mail address, and which file you require.

User

Default Re: Steyr Mod L and SSG 69 Plastic trigger guard/ mag holder made from aluminum (WANTED)

I have an update on this bottom metal/ trigger guard.
    This has been locally manufactured for SSG69 type rifles. I know it will fit some of the hunting rifles as well but not sure which calibres, probably anything that uses the same action as the .308W

They are now available and has been made in aircraft aluminium and guncoated black. You no longer use the old 5 round rotary magazine but now use any AI 5shot or 10shot mag.

You get one 5 shot AI replica mag with the bottom metal at R4800 plus courier service.
    extra 5 shot mags will be R1250 ea.

Send me an email nowon at icon.co.za if anyone is interested so I can arrange one for you.
    I will post pics as soon as I have mine back. I am busy with a new stock for mine as well so all parts are with stock maker.

User

Default Re: Steyr Mod L and SSG 69 Plastic trigger guard/ mag holder made from aluminum (WANTED)

E-mail sent
    Thanks

User

There is still one bottom metal from this batch. Next batch will only be made somewhere around Late February 2020 when there is time on the machine again.

AI 5round magazines (Copy) will still be available.

User

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast