Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default Specially For H/Gun hunting -The Impala bullet

Been playing with this thought for some time. 70/80% metplat wad cutters seem to run high in preference for hunting, flat nosed jacketed or hard cast lead. seems that expanding bullets seem to just have to many ifs in hand gun hunting ?.
    So then why isn't the impala bullet like a - A ONE + kinda choice?, designed to function with out expansion and higher velocities, it should be like perfect. Why no praise sung regarding this bullet ?

Default Re: Specially For H/Gun hunting -The Impala bullet

Because their handgun bullets are not known.

Banned

All I could think of too, perhaps a bit light, but then they very fast ?.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glocknooi View Post
    Because their handgun bullets are not known.

You can load them relatively fast.

I got 1250 fps from my Glock 20 using the 120gr FP, with the start load. I didn't try for more.

User

treeman......verry interesting so i did a bit of research. i have done a bit of hand gun hunting with my redhawk 44 using "keith type" semi wadcutter cast lead bullets of 240gr at 1400fps. a little warm ,yes, but not exessively so. i have shot animals up to kudu size and have never had a problem as far as penetration is concerned. what intrigued me was the possibillity of a lighter bullet with a calibre size cutting shoulder,driven at a higher velocity to flatten the trajectory. first of all i saw that impala offer a 160gr 44 bullet which should achieve the above results but then they list a velocity max of 460mps which is about 1500fps. if this is the case i would rather stick with what i know than dropping 80gr in weight for only 100fps gain. maybe the advantages are better with other calibres,it is food for thought.

Did you recover any of your 240gr SWC and weigh them ?

User

414 gates........i must confess that when i wrote that i have done quite a bit of handgun hunting it was not entirely true in the pure sense of the word. for a number of years i carried the redhawk with me while rifle hunting.when the chance presented itself i would use the 44 instead of the rifle. i have taken about 30 animals but they have all been under 50m and presenting perfect broadside shots. on all shots i have had full penetration including on kudu bulls where both shoulder bones have been hit. so, no,i have not recovered any bullets but have also not had to angle any shots in on larger game.still pretty impressive penetration.

Banned

Kobus at Impala is very Very conservative with his loads - remember the 458 x 2" project, we got 2500ish and he had like 2175 as a cut off. Very lawyer proof suggested loads.
    Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    treeman......verry interesting so i did a bit of research. i have done a bit of hand gun hunting with my redhawk 44 using "keith type" semi wadcutter cast lead bullets of 240gr at 1400fps. a little warm ,yes, but not exessively so. i have shot animals up to kudu size and have never had a problem as far as penetration is concerned. what intrigued me was the possibillity of a lighter bullet with a calibre size cutting shoulder,driven at a higher velocity to flatten the trajectory. first of all i saw that impala offer a 160gr 44 bullet which should achieve the above results but then they list a velocity max of 460mps which is about 1500fps. if this is the case i would rather stick with what i know than dropping 80gr in weight for only 100fps gain. maybe the advantages are better with other calibres,it is food for thought.

User

treeman....yes definately,i am going to get some and see what they can do.i really think you are on to something....if i can get them to 1700 or so safely. we can try them in my new sbh

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    All I could think of too, perhaps a bit light, but then they very fast ?.
    From what I have read it seems that handgun hunters prefer slow and heavy cast lead bullets for increased penetration even though HP's are available. That means the functionality of premium bullets in handguns does not offer such a gain that it is a viable option for handgun hunters or am I missing something? Would mono's from a handgun give the same lethal performance as SWC's? If so it would be wise to switch in favour of a better trajectory.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast