Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Specially For H/Gun hunting -The Impala bullet

I hunt with a handgun when possible but I am very careful to match the velocity of the cartridge with the manufacturer's data for proper expansion of hollow point and soft point bullets. Almost every handgun I hunt with uses handloads with muzzle velocities above 1500 ft/sec. I have seen first hand the failure of some bullets fragmenting when used at velocities above what they were designed for. It has resulted in poor penetration, "blowing up" when hitting bones, and superficially-wounded game animals that usually aren't recovered.

The Keith-style SWC with a hard alloy has a proven history of good penetration resulting in clean kills.

Banned

the Impalas are known to cut caliber size holes - would they do so at hand gun velocities ?

User

treeman.......the keith type swc has a slightly less pronounced cutting shoulder and is not as sharp as the cutting shoulder on an impala. also , being of lesd,it proberbly would round off quicker. i dont see why , with a meaningfull gain in velocity that the lighter impala would not work. so we have the tried and trusted,slow and heavy vs the new monolithic light and fast......where have i heard this before???????

Banned

Why not just a heavier Impala - as heavy as can be in .357.

User

treeman........the 160 gr 44bullet available from impala is the same as the standard weight .357 conventional bullet at 158gr

Banned

Impala has a 180gr LWHV in .358" but it measures 32,4mm in length. They also offer a 200gr Bosvelder in .429" (.44 Mag/.444 Marlin) with a length of 20,9mm. This last one might just be short enough to fit in a handgun, or not?

Banned

I see the original 357 mag 110 gr loads produced 1600-1800 fps velocities, now cant see why the impala bullets can not achieve that. That would then make it a very very very flat and effective hunting bullet.
    http://handloads.com/loaddata/defaul...l&type=Handgun

User

Glocknooi....hi....I have had good performance from SWC"s and yes HP"s do limit or inhibit penetration on large animals.You are correct with everything you said in your post but,people being people,it is allways nice to see if a known combination can be improved apon.All that a hand gun bullet does is make a caliber size holes in things.A SWC [keith type] has a small shoulder on it which helps to cut a caliber size hole and the weght of the bullet [245gr in 44] ensures good penetration.The impala bullet has an even more pronounced cutting shoulder and being only 160gr,penetration may be limited. I was thinking of using heavy SWC for large game[we know it works] and using 160gr"s for smaller game,up to impala size,where you will still get enough penetration with the advantage of a flatter trajectory. The overiding factor is however,the fact that it is nice to play and experiment with all things that go bang.

User

Treeman....for up to impala they should work

User

Does anyone have any results from using these in the field? To my mind, penetration should be pretty good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast