Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Spyderco Sharpmaker

Anyone in or around Cape Town have one or know where there is one?

Looking to sharpen up a serrated blade. Or advise on a knife sharpener who can work on a serrated edge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Spyderco Sharpmaker

Contact Sharp Edge in Sandton city. There is a specific Spiderco sharpner for their serated knives. FYI, they are not cheap but very good.

Banned

Sharpening a serrated edge is very difficult at it's best. It is something I tried only a very few times and I stay away from it if possible.

Work very slowly and take care of the sharpening angles. Once the angle is lost the shape of the serration changes and then it is very hard to keep the serration sharp.

What worked well for me is to get a thin wooden dowel, slightly smaller than the scallop of the serration, and cover it with very fine sanding paper, then move it slowly from the spine towards the cutting edge. With "blunt" serrations like on a bread knife I found that a small piece of sanding paper wrapped on a small stick in a drill work well, or a small rubber wheel like used by jewellers.

There are triangular stones made to sharpen serrations - I have seen such disastrous results from them that I did not even try them.

Someone else will hopefully be on standby with better advice - I don't like regular serrations.

User

If you use any sharpner incorrectly you will end up with a blunt blade. The Spyderco sharpner with triangular stones is a fantastic sharpner for a variety of serated blades and can do serations as small as 2-3mm depending on the serration profile. One of the sharpening mistakes is to try sharpening each of the individual serations, which never works in my opinion as the sharpening is never even throughout the edge. Secondly, on the triangular stone sharpners with inclined stones, you must hold the blade perfectly verticle when sharpening to maintain the edge. A trick to this is place your index finger along the top of the blade as this helps to hold the knife strait as you pull the edge across the stones.
    If the knife is a prized possession, rather send it back to the manufacturer for sharpening or a profesional knife maker. Personally, I sharpen my Spyderco's and many other serated knives with the sharpner and have 0 problems at all.

User

Thanks for the info guys, Raker are you using the Sharpmaker?

User

I had good results from the guys at Rosenthals for sharpening mynknives before I leart how.

User

Interesting, thanks Kayback.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kayback View Post
    I had good results from the guys at Rosenthals for sharpening mynknives before I leart how.
    A glass of water and two panados before bed, otherwise the hangover is going to hurt you tomorrow.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Hahahaha. I hate touch screen phones. And I even proof read the damn thing.

User

Yup, works well for me, keeps my civillian razor sharp and ready for action.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast