Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Bushcraft gun - what would/do you choose/use?

Hi guys,

I have been thinking about a "bushcraft gun" for sometime.

I think that the terms survival and bushcraft are interchanged too willingly (another debate for another thread), and I know many people will choose tactical .223s or ruger 10/22s as "survival" rifles, but I feel that "bushcraft" guns are different in that its less about shooting zombies and more about hunting small game, versatility, packability and lightweight (gun and ammo?).

I have long believed that my .22 was my best bet - but I also own a 410 and 12g side by sides shotgun which I also use. I think there are 100's of pro's and con's, options and opinions - and each is to there own, but am I the only one that thinks the .22-410 combinations must be ideal? Both the .22 and 410 ammo are comparatively light weight (which means we can carry more of it) and both are capable of harvesting small game quite happily.

I know that if my intention is purely to go shoot geese on my mates' farm, that my 12g is probably my best bet, and that my .22 is probably best for rabbits and hares (if that is all I am going to do). The problem is, my 12g shotgun is already heavy, and my .22 is flipping long. Carrying 12g ammo while hiking any distance also stands to make me grumpy - so if my plan is to go walkabout, perhaps even camp with all that I need in my pack, I think a folding combination gun is ideal.

Where can I buy one of these?

User

Default Re: Bushcraft gun - what would/do you choose/use?

So you are looking for a combination shotgun/rifle? I've only ever seen them on the interwebs. I would imagine licencing it in SA would perhaps be a issue? Two calibers in one firearm. Will probably confuse the hell out of the guys at CFR.

There is a savage 22/410 and for sale somewhere on a south african facebook hunt/gun group for R3,500. I grew up with one of those in the Free State and had MANY pleasant outings in the veld as a boy eating the day's hunt there in the veld

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by BandK View Post
    There is a savage 22/410 and for sale somewhere on a south african facebook hunt/gun group for R3,500. I grew up with one of those in the Free State and had MANY pleasant outings in the veld as a boy eating the day's hunt there in the veld

Well there you go. Apparently not an issue to licence.

User

BigMatt.....in the 2nd world war the germans used to issue some aircrews with drillings,basically a side by side shotgun with a rifle barrel centered underneath,normally in 12gauge and 9.3 , so the idea of a shotgun and rifle in one package is not a new idea. however this was a survival package. you have brought up an interesting distinction between a survival gun and a bushcraft gun. as a bushcraft gun i think you are on the right track. i saw one a number of years ago [22 and 410],english made but i cant remember the makers name. i think it was referred to as a game keeper which was proberbly meant as poachers weapon. good luck in your search...there are a few in the country.

User

There was a Savage break open .223/12guage o/u with a polymer stock in Cavedish Guns like.... 10 years ago. a Model 24 IIRC.

User

NSN in Pretoria was advertising a combination gun a few months back....

http://www.guntree.co.za/item/403-br...ge-combo-rifle

Banned

Thanks for the responses guys. Firstly I suppose my intention with this thread is start a discussion about what constitutes a good bushcraft gun.

Secondly - I propose that a combination .22-410 (definitely not a new idea) makes perfect sense for a bushcraft pack gun. It's a pity that new examples of these aren't available to purchase easily in SA. I'm sure licensing may be a pain but I would go through the effort gladly to own one.

The Stevens / Savage combination 22-410 is the only example I have found for sale in SA - and even then they are rare or in terrible nick.

I have been tempted to purchase a cheap/youth .22 rifle and modify the stock etc to make a folding / backpackable .22 rifle. Anyone done anything like this?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by VanTheGlockMan View Post
    NSN in Pretoria was advertising a combination gun a few months back....

http://www.guntree.co.za/item/403-br...ge-combo-rifle
    Awesome gun! a bit out of my budget unfortunately...

User

The fact that people are scared to license them or think they are too specialized will save you plenty bucks on a second hand one but limit the chances of finding new.
    I have also seen them for about R3500.
    Search "license combination" on Gunsite.
    http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...se+combination
    http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...se+combination

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast