Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default I thought I was ready...

I wasn't. The building lost water around noon just before my shower. I quickly realized that I wasn't willing to wash my teeth or dishes with flushing water tasting laundry soap (salvaged detergent jugs) or filtered one that I paid for; and it seems to take a lot more than when you have a stream nearby... I also quickly lost 14 liters of that flush water to the cute neighbor. I could hear her husband grumble in the background but she had a big smile on her face... totally worth it!____________________ Apparently City Hall found around 10 PM that the problem was on their side and they are currently digging.___________I had pretty much the same dinner as I would have on a regular day, and am looking at a pair each of dirty plates and cups, three different knifes and spoons and a fork. I only brought 1 gallon of tap water from the park and it's for my teeth... _______City Hall just brought the mother of all trucks (can you hear it?) and I think that they are just going to move the building to a place with water._________ Got to go now, I have to make a web search for "sponge+bath" before they cut the power.

User

Default Re: I thought I was ready...

HaHa. Sounds like Vanderbijlpark, water off from Thursday morning early. Water was on/off/on for about 10 days. At the same time there was 12 houses in my street without power due to a blown cable, mine included was off for 6 days and 4hrs. The worst was that all the taps had 165V between taps and earth, it was not fun to try and shower with plastic bags over the tap handles. Emfuleni is falling apart.

User

What? You guys have electricity AND water at the SAME time?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    HaHa. Sounds like Vanderbijlpark, water off from Thursday morning early. Water was on/off/on for about 10 days. At the same time there was 12 houses in my street without power due to a blown cable, mine included was off for 6 days and 4hrs. The worst was that all the taps had 165V between taps and earth, it was not fun to try and shower with plastic bags over the tap handles. Emfuleni is falling apart.
    What the heck is happening in the rest of South Africa, Cape Town sounds like a frikken paradise compared to what is happening up north.
    From what I hear Joburg is on the edge of going completely off the rails.

User

Quote Originally Posted by curious george View Post
    What? You guys have electricity AND water at the SAME time?
    YES we had water and electricity at the same time, in the shower. Aiai

But at least I found out that my 5000L tank full of rain water, getting pumped into my household pipes and through the solar geyser, works 100% in the shower. My gray water system kept the toilets going and my 2KW inverter generator could keep the freezer frozen, the fridge cold with the beers in, all batteries charged and that for 4 hrs per day at 0.5 L per hour. But I saw a couple of things that will be modified for the next couple of rounds of trails. Viva

User

Jhb is reminding me more and more of Lagos every day. The amount of money that we spend to provide for the services that government charges us for but is incapable of delivering is staggering.

User

Update: 10 hours into the crisis, the caretaker, not one to be confused by facts, had the cleaning lady put signs saying "WATER OFF UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE". It eventually dawned on me around midnight that the problem was most likely "water" going nowhere but the first floor suites........ City Hall took off at 00:30 without fixing the problem._____ They just came back at 09:30.______I hope they slept well and got cleaned up before a good breakfast and coming back.________ Wait a sec..., they're leaving again at 09:45...... Probably just forgot to put the sewer plates back last night. It's nice I think as they usually don't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Jhb is reminding me more and more of Lagos every day. The amount of money that we spend to provide for the services that government charges us for but is incapable of delivering is staggering.
    Surely the Cuban engineers have diagnosed the problem ?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Luker View Post
    Surely the Cuban engineers have diagnosed the problem ?
    Same way the army was sent to Vaaltriangle to sort out the raw sewage getting pumped into the Vaal river ELM. Now the Rand Water will take over the sewage and water division of the ELM. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    Same way the army was sent to Vaaltriangle to sort out the raw sewage getting pumped into the Vaal river ELM. Now the Rand Water will take over the sewage and water division of the ELM. Haha
    Hope springs eternal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast