Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Bushcraft gun - what would/do you choose/use?

Licensing them isn't so tricky - a young man here in Potch has one licensed under S15.

User

To add to the debate, what is the utility of the 410? It is particularly useless and inefficient as a wing shooting tool. Shooting at ground-based game will only be effective at maybe 30 yards. I.e the 22 will do that job. So the 410 is really not bringing much to the table.
    Although 410 ammo is less bulky than bigger bore shotguns, it's still pretty bulky for what it is. And chances are you're not going to be able to find more ammo once your stash is expended.

If not the 22 on its own (definitely the most weight and space efficient ammo after an air rifle), then maybe a lever action firing a handgun round? Maybe a 357 lever gun - ammo is less bulky than the 410, much more knockdown power than the 22 or 410 meaning bigger game is on the menu. And the ammo is fairly compact. Plus 38 Special ammo can also be used, meaning ammo availability is greater.

User

Used to have a 22/410 combo made by Voere. Lovely little gun with the 410 barrel on top ,unlike the Yank ones. Had a pop up sight for the 22. When you are out shooting with a bunch of guys with 12's you learn to shoot very quickly. 410 slugs should be reasonably effective on smaller antelope at short ranges.

User

I have seen a few combinations available for sale at our corner Gunshop in Kimberley.

User

The 410 have no place in either a bushcraft or survival scenario. You are not going to be wingshooting in a survival scenario, neither will a 410 be more effective on small game than a .22.
    Round for round you can carry a lot more .22 rounds than a 410, so the scenario doesn't make sense.

I think the idea is more appealing than the real application, carrying more .22 rounds in a light rifle will beat any combo rifle any day of the week.
    Also, while the idea of a scout rifle in .22 sounds appealing, like the chiappa little badger, that one shot and reloading time is just too slow.

My money on a compact bushcraft/survival gun will mostly fall on the ruger 10/22 takedown, it's just damn hard to beat.

User

My Ruger 10/22 takedown is what I would choose.

Anyone who has carried around shotgun ammo knows it's not a good choice for bushcraft or survival

Default Bushcraft gun - what would/do you choose/use?

I recently bought a 10/22, when I was researching it, there were a few clips on it being a great bush craft gun..
    Mine has a folding stock, it's light, stood the test of time as far as reliability goes, small ammo good for small game and can be accompanied by a .22 pistol using the same ammo..

I'm no expert, but to me, carrying a light weight gun outweighs a huge behemoth... Especially over long hikes..

Oh and did I mention how light and small the ammo is, you could carry a whole lot.. And still have space for other essentials..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

If I had to choose between my 10/22 and 22 bolt action, for this specific purpose, I would take the bolt gun. The reason being it's better accuracy and very quiet operation with subsonics. (Both are supressed.) While I love my 10/22, it is somewhat louder (the action lets some gas and noise escape) and I will be tempted to waste ammo. With the bolt gun I would be forced to make every shot count, so the ammo will last longer. But both will work well for this task, and a few more.

User

10/22 takedown is the way i would go. I cannot see a purpose for the .410 not something the .22 cant do anyway. Light foldable rifle with small ligjtweight ammo capable of taking pretty much anything in a bushcraft environment.

User

The 410 is nice to have but in a bush craft situation I would rather opt for the ease of loading on a .22 semi or bolt action.
    The times that the 410 would be a clear benefit is way less than the ease of a faster follow up shot with the .22

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast