User

Default Buffer weight for suppressed 10.5" AR

Mornings Gents

As per the thread title. I have a Warrior suppressor that i want to run on my Nea 10.5"
    What buffer weight do i need for it to run reliably? I took the suppressor with today to see what it does with the standard buffer and after most shots the bolt locked back on a loaded magazine. Plus i had 2 failure to feeds, where it didn't pick up the round out of the magazine.

As says your help is much appreciated

User

Default Re: Buffer weight for suppressed 10.5" AR

A 10.5" AR and supressor combo is very hard on the system if the rifle is not tuned for suppressor use.

There should be much more gas in the system when a suppressor is used so it is surprising that you experienced failures to feed. FTF (I assume the bolt did not pick up the next round?) suggests that the bolt carrier did not move to the rear far enough?

I used a H3 or H2 buffer on my DDMK18 when I tried it suppressed and it worked without failure every time.
    Last edited by DS; 07-07-2016 at 12:09.

User

Thanks for the reply Kumba

I find the ftf strange as well. The only thing i can think of is that the bolt didnt catch properly on the bolt release thus slowing it down enough to not pick up the round?
    I plan on running this suppressed permanently. How do i set up up my gun for suppressed use as you describe ?

User

The cheapest is probably an adjustable gas block.

There is a company (I cannot recall the name now) that makes an adjustable bolt carrier specifically for suppressor use and that is most probably what I woukd go for if it was available.

User

http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/GEM...rier-p1149.htm

Here is an adjustable bolt carrier where the adjustment from suppressed to unsuppressed can be made from and open dust cover, no need to disassemble. Been looking at it for a while.

https://youtu.be/lPvNHAcMUvE

My DD MK18 ran perfectly suppressed with both a H or H2 buffer.

I'm guessing the NEA has a carbine buffer, which I suspect is too light for a short barrel anyway. The heavier buffer should provide more reliability.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

User

Thanks for all the reply's

I will look into those upgrades in the future.
    Need to start reloading so i cant shoot it more often (demm ammo getting more pricey= me shoot less)
    As for the cycling problems, trough closer inspection and lots of research discovered that my spring in my bolt release was missing, there was no tension on the bolt release.

I think what happened was with the added blow back from the suppressor the bolt catch would engage. And on the FTF the bolt was hitting a part of the catch causing the bolt to slow thus not going all the way into battery. I find it interesting that shooting unsuppressed this wasn't a problem. Goes to show how much extra blow back pressure there is in the chamber. I have now put the spring in and have fired about 30 rounds trough it, seems to work fine . Will see how it holds up on my next range visit .

Just for interest sake if the bolt is moving to fast (buffer not heavy enough) what kind of malfunctions would that cause.
    Another observation, i am actually surprised at how much flash still comes out of the suppressor. I was expecting it to be almost nothing, But again the short barrels spit out a lot more flame, so the suppressor probably cant mitigate all of it. But it does what i want it to do makes the noise and concussion much better than it would normally be especially if used indoors.
    Last edited by Tommie@77; 11-07-2016 at 16:08.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tommie@77 View Post
    Thanks for all the reply's

Just for interest sake if the bolt is moving to fast (buffer not heavy enough) what kind of malfunctions would that cause.
    Possibly some or all of the malfunctions associated with violent extraction (Extractor ripping through the rim, extractor slipping over or breaking and most likely accelerated wear on all other parts)

It's a buffer, so it slows down the system, allowing for more reliable extraction, hold the bolt carrier back a bit to help with ejection and for rounds to rise in the mag, then it pushes forward with more momentum, pushing the bolt into battery and reducing bolt bounce, than can happen with a violent action.

All these things happen in milliseconds, but it's what has been tested and shown to help improve things. Don't forget to beef up the extractor too. Adding an extra power extractor spring and o-ring or insert, or both is recommended.

If you feel like it, an extra power buffer Spring can also be used.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

User

Necroposting....

Has anyone else had any success with heavier buffers?
    Have the same issues as the author - also 10.5" NEA. Suppressed it is overgassed, literally making my eyes water when shooting.
    Looked at the DMP Recoil buffer, but its quite expensive - not sure if its worth more than getting / trying an H2 buffer.