Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Guard Dog

User

Default Re: Guard Dog

Quote Originally Posted by Gleock View Post
    I won't give advice on a specific bread,
    I will. Sasko is OK, Albany is nice but the best is a fresh bread from Food Lover's Market.

I have a Bassett and two Spaniel dogs..

Fantastic family dogs, I do use them as a layer as they sleep inside and all trained to sleep in different rooms..

But, they are in no way guard dogs..

Research is your friend here, and some of the results would surprise you..

http://iheartdogs.com/the-10-best-guard-dog-breeds/

Being South African, we tend to love German Shepard dogs, personally I think they are nice family dogs too, if raised that way, but you will certainly lose some of their fierceness if Molly cuddled..

Just my 20c worth..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Just went through this exercise and settled on a doberman after many months of research. We are based on a farm so the beast has plenty space which he will most certainly need. super intelligent dog, they are apparently very sensitive as well. The misconception that they are violent is exactly that and without attack training they actually prefer to intimidate and herd/corner strangers until the alpha (which is hopefully you) comes to check out the situation. Expecting a child soon, so dog and baby will be growing up together. They are incredibly protective and bond strongly with the family unit. This is a problem if you're going to be away lots. Puppy is currently 13 weeks and I have dragged it everywhere with me and introduced it to as many environments and other dogs as I possibly can. I think this is of utmost importance to not having a dog that develops social ticks. He has already mastered look,sit,stay,up,down,come and heel and I have crate trained and clicker trained him. You will get out of a dog what you put in. My hopes are that he will also be able to do some tracking and I will definitely get him into attack training as soon as possible.
    The doberman is definitely a compromise on all the elements of family vs working vs protection dog but so far I feel we made the right choice! Good Luck!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I will. Sasko is OK, Albany is nice but the best is a fresh bread from Food Lover's Market.
    Nice

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gleock View Post
    Nice

User

My Miniature Schnauzers are great family dogs and stay indoors with us during the evenings. They also double as great early warning systems as they bark at anything that seems suspicious to them but surprisingly don't bark at any stupid little noise. This leaves me with enough time to get the wife to a safe hiding place (trap door inside our bedroom) and my EDC gear on etc. Personally I find smaller breeds to be better 'guard dogs' - they can't do anything about a threat themselves but they'll sure as hell let you know about it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Quake View Post
    [...]
    Research is your friend here, and some of the results would surprise you..

http://iheartdogs.com/the-10-best-guard-dog-breeds/

[...]
    They could at least have used a proper Malinois photo and not this picture of a GSD resp. GSD x Malinois.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5