Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Self-defense monos - how do we feel about this one?

http://besthuntingbullets.com/3579mm...54-100gr-.html

Came across this completely by accident this morning. I see that it's a 100gr monolithic handgun bullet that costs around 50% more than a complete, loaded Winchester or Federal hollow-point round.

Now, Peregrine makes nice bullets for hunting and they perform just fine, but for self-defense? At ~R15 per bullet? I appreciate them making something local that contests with international products but really, I think they're missing the target quite far here.

Or am I missing something here?

User

Default Re: Self-defense monos - how do we feel about this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    http://besthuntingbullets.com/3579mm...54-100gr-.html

Came across this completely by accident this morning. I see that it's a 100gr monolithic handgun bullet that costs around 50% more than a complete, loaded Winchester or Federal hollow-point round.

Now, Peregrine makes nice bullets for hunting and they perform just fine, but for self-defense? At ~R15 per bullet? I appreciate them making something local that contests with international products but really, I think they're missing the target quite far here.

Or am I missing something here?
    Impala makes a decent FP handgun mono which you can load yourself to whatever you like.

User

It is nice there are options in case the effing "greenies" get lead free ammo made illegal, but I'll be sticking to factory premium JHP's for a while.

User

Call me when the Winchesters of the world replace their premium JHP offerings with monos.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetelestai View Post
    Call me when the Winchesters of the world replace their premium JHP offerings with monos.
    I think Cor Bon makes a monometal 9mm HP.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    I think Cor Bon makes a monometal 9mm HP.
    Indeed. Conventional wisdom from the majority seems to be to stick with JHP though.

Any LEO agencies using that Cor Bon load? Perhaps a gel test? As a hunter, monos make a lot of sense to me. But then SD isn't hunting.

User

Look I can see the need for a monometal bullet all round, specially in hunting. But in SA where our options are so limited I don't see a real need for a monometal HP bullet that costs more for just the bullet than an entire round of premium, proven bullets from international manufacturers. Who's going to test these? Do reliable expansion tests? Do penetration tests on calibrated ballistics gel? Develop a load for that bullet that everyone can reliably use? I don't really see it.

User

Toxxyc....i posted the same basic question on 04/07/2016 on Ammunition thread perigrine 100gr 9mm.....also a video clip of bullet entering ballistic gel

Banned

Have a look at www.barnesbullets.com and watch their youtube vids on their SD bullets.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tetelestai View Post
    Indeed. Conventional wisdom from the majority seems to be to stick with JHP though.

Any LEO agencies using that Cor Bon load? Perhaps a gel test? As a hunter, monos make a lot of sense to me. But then SD isn't hunting.
    The Barnes Bullet is on Doc Roberts list. Its an exceptional performer.

We need to see a full IWBA/FBI test protocol on this one in properly calibrated Gel to know how this one is likely top perform.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast