Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Ruger 1-S in .300H&H

The Ruger No1-S in .300H&H that I ordered in early December has arrived! What a beauty. When I saw it listed in the Ruger website I was straight down to the gunsmiths and placed my order and only had to wait four and a half months for it to arrive. Brass is unavailable here and it looks like I will have to order it from the US which is a pain in the neck but it will be worth the hassle to own such a classic calibre in the No1.
    Now Ruger is going to do a run of 1-A's in .303 British, I wonder what I could sell to finance that.

User

Congrats! It is a great calibre and equally great rifle.

I have a Ruger No.1 in 45-70 and I love it! Would not mind one in .303!!!!

User

That sounds like a lovely rifle. Congratulations!

A No.1 in .303 Brit would also be so sweet!

How long does it take to have a rifle licensed there in Oz?

User

wantok, as i am typing this i am having a 300H&H custom built. see if you can get brass/ammo from s-africa. a local company: PMP loads for the 300H&H in their pro-am category.

is this a production rifle? i was under the impression that nobody manufactures this calibre any more.

i am curios, what made you decide on the 300H&H?

and for heaven's sake my man where is the pics???

User

Quote Originally Posted by 300H&H View Post
    wantok, as i am typing this i am having a 300H&H custom built. see if you can get brass/ammo from s-africa. a local company: PMP loads for the 300H&H in their pro-am category.

is this a production rifle? i was under the impression that nobody manufactures this calibre any more.

i am curios, what made you decide on the 300H&H?

and for heaven's sake my man where is the pics???
    +1 on the pics.

Also, 300H&H, please post some further info on the custom rifle currently being built (action, barrel etc).

User

k98, turkish walnut. with a very heavy barrel. built in the original H&H style. had my hands measured(by a lack of a better word) and the stock is going to have a noticeable wundhammer - swell( spelling??) there will be a small metal plate on the bottom of the right hand grip with the date when i received it and my initials and surname with space and my son's initials and surname with an empty space, so that he can ad the date the day he takes it over from me. it has a truvelo barrel. it will have a magnum magazine box which simply means it will be able to take 4 rounds.

it took me about a year before i finally decided on the 300H&H magnum as my choice of calibre. it will have flip up iron sights. it is not a free floating barrel setup, as the gunsmith explained to me when you get a custom built rifle, the barrel must fit into the wood perfectly. this is a sign of the gunsmiths abilities.

it is going to be a very heavy rifle. i wanted a dedicated long distance rifle that still had knock down power when it reached the target. so it will be used mainly for plains game long distance hunting.

still undecided on the scope , any suggestions?

User

Umshiniwam,
    First you have to obtain a shooters licence (not hard, my 18 year old son just got his) and when you want to obtain a firearm you send a Permit to Aquire form to your state firearms registery. There is a cooling off period of six weeks for you first firearm but after that it takes about two weeks from sending in the permit to getting back the approval to purchase. When you purchase and pick up the firearm the dealer then sends the purchase details to firearms registry and a few weeks latter the registration papers arrive in the mail. Its not really a difficult process, I currently have 9 firearms, one friend has 11 and another has 24 buy his kinders are all grown up and left home.

300H&H,
    Yes it is a standard production No1 rifle, Lipsleys in the US did a run of 300H&H No1s named the Kudu in the Boddington series of rifles that they had Ruger produce for them recently and for some reason Ruger decided to add the 300H&H to their production run of No1-S rifles. I don't know why and I'm not complaining. I wanted something capable of launching a projectile bigger than my 7mmRemMag for scrub bulls and red deer when hunting in bushveld conditions and one of friends has this calibre in a custom pre64 Winchester which I have used and always felt confident with and besides it is a great looking round. Short and fat ain't where its at in my books.
    I have also purchased a Leupold VX-II 2-7x32 to mount on the rifle.
    I'll post a photo in the next few days.

Tatta

User

Quote Originally Posted by 300H&H View Post

still undecided on the scope , any suggestions?
    Sounds like a great rifle. I reckon at least a 3-9 x 50 and nothing less than Leupold!

User

Quote Originally Posted by wantok View Post
    Umshiniwam,
    First you have to obtain a shooters licence (not hard, my 18 year old son just got his) and when you want to obtain a firearm you send a Permit to Aquire form to your state firearms registery. There is a cooling off period of six weeks for you first firearm but after that it takes about two weeks from sending in the permit to getting back the approval to purchase. When you purchase and pick up the firearm the dealer then sends the purchase details to firearms registry and a few weeks latter the registration papers arrive in the mail. Its not really a difficult process, I currently have 9 firearms, one friend has 11 and another has 24 buy his kinders are all grown up and left home.
    Cool, so it is a bit less than the two years we wait here. Good to know!

User

wantok, do you reload? spoke to a couple of guys including gunsmiths and gun shop owners. their opinion on the 300H&H case is that it is not one of the best cartridges to reload, it is by far the best to reload. looking forward to reload for this rifle, all ready have 90 rounds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast