User

Default Big bore air rifles >.22 and need licensing

I am still on the fence about buying a .30 caliber air rifle. A few people have said that they never use theirs and it is a waste. I am wondering what the wider opinions on this from those who have big bore air rifles?

User

Default Re: Big bore air rifles >.22 and need licensing

Quote Originally Posted by RakerX16 View Post
    I am still on the fence about buying a .30 caliber air rifle. A few people have said that they never use theirs and it is a waste. I am wondering what the wider opinions on this from those who have big bore air rifles?
    While I had the opportunity to own one, in the greater scheme of things, it is simply a waste of money IMO. For the price of a big bore airgun which has limited use (other than the 'Aaaaaaah wow' factor), you can't do much with it - within the confines of ethics, if you know what I mean. Putting holes in paper and tins at long distance may be it.

For the price of a quality big bore airgun, you can rather invest in a high-end powderburner. Same effort, more versatility (target, hunting, mothers-in-law control), methinks.

My ideal would be to own a top-end high-power PCP in 5.5mm (.22 is the wrong terminology, from a legal perspective) that can put pellet on pellet out to 80m. Also, a 4.5mm PCP rifle that can do the same out to 50m for humane pest control, and then a top-end 4.5mm spring-powered rifle, for the versatility of competitive shooting in combination with the 4.5 PCP. Included in this would be a good quality PCP pistol, also for close-up PC.

Anything else in addition to this will eventually end up being decorations in a safe - and you will never learn to love and understand any of your 'keeper' guns deeply.

User

I know exactly what you mean. Even though I could purchase one at an exceptional price, I was concerned that I may have a safe filler. The few people I have spoken to all said their big bores are all safe warmers due to the limitations. Currently, I have a 5.5mm Weihraunch HW100S and a 5.0mm HW97K. I think I will rather spend more cash on having them tuned and on other accessories than go the route of the big bore.

I would let it go merely for having to be licensed. It will also no doubt be heavy on air.

I currently have a Hw100T in 5.5mm, and a Walther LGR(The old olympic once). Ive sold of my other PCP's as I always take the HW100 when we go take out Pigeons and Guinea Fowl.

I honestly around my HW100 in 5.5 dont see a need for going bigger.

Ive read people said the HW in 5.5 is pellet picky. But those were the old days. The current once have no issues. I shoot HN 16gr and mostly HN Diablo Baracuda. As well as JSB Exact Jumbo 18gr. The HW100 at 30m the length I can shoot safely in backyard. I get literally one hole groupings. Ive on several occasions shot where you cant even from up close see its more then 1 pellet hole.

I taped up a CPT telephone book and Yellowpages. of 2015. And put it at 24m.
    With the Exact 18gr. the first pellet pushes so far into the phone book the rear bulges. The second pellet on same spot pushes them through.

I easily pick off Pigeons at 50-60m when prone and on bipod with it when were on farm.

So its got plenty enough power not to just want to go to a .30 licensed pcp.

User

What about an air shotgun, barrel size .380". Nice thing to use for pest control

User

I have to agree

Unless you have a passion for hunting, bearing in mind its limitations, much like a bow hunter, stay away