User

Default Trading in a rifle (same calibre)

Hi,

if I were to consider "trading" my .30-06 for a new rifle in .30-06 calibre, would I have to apply for a new license?

I know the obvious answer is "Yes", but let me put it this way;

I take the rifle to a gunsmith and say that I want to re-barrel it. No problem, I (think) he will send off an application to modify the weapon and that would take a couple of weeks. Presumably the weapon's barrel serial number will be updated on the license?

While he is about it, I say that I want the a new action as well (this may require an additional request for permission?) . and once permission has been granted the new barrel and action are fitted to the rifles stock (or a new one).

This is not much different from buying a brand new rifle.

Would this fly?

ja i dont think so hey, thats like me wanting to change my 9mm short DKL for a Walther PPK , put the same serial number on it and hope nobody notices...

If SAPS gives approval for the work to be done by the Gunsmith there shouldn't be a problem.

User

It might be worth a try then.

User

Remember, that after you have applied for a barrel/action change and you have received permission to do so, you hand rifle over to gunsmith. The gunsmith goes ahead and does the work. On completion of work, weapon then has to go for proofing. When that's done, a new license will then be issued for the firearm, with all the relevant details (if action has a serial number, it will be on the license, barrel will obviously have a number) While you are waiting for this new license, the rifle must stay with the gunsmith. I've heard of cases where this process took as long/longer than applying for a new firearm.
    Sadly there are no shortcuts. I need to rebarrel my one rifle, bought the barrel, just need to get the timing right. Rifle could be out of commision for quite some time. Damn! I get hot under the collar just thinking about it!