Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default BUYING A cz .22 lr

HI NGUYS

I see there are previous/ similar threads on this but starting a new one with a slight different question.
    i am looking at a a new CZ .22 LR

i have 2 options, some thoughts please maybe someone owns one or know these rifles.

the one is a CZ 455 lux. it comes with threaded barrel for a silencer, open sights, eslnut stock and blued barrel, 10 shot mag. it is priced around 9k. i plan to fit a telescope anyway so dont really nead the open sights even though it is nice to have the option.

my other option is a CZ 452 stainless. comes with no sights and a synthetic stock. i like this rifle but how does it compare to the 455? it is priced at 8 k.

User

Default Re: BUYING A cz .22 lr

While I prefer the 455, I would go for the 452 on account of the not so great lux stock. The 452 with synthetic stock is better suited to having a scope mounted. First prize for me would be a 455 with a stock that doesn't have that horrible drop at the heel.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    While I prefer the 455, I would go for the 452 on account of the not so great lux stock. The 452 with synthetic stock is better suited to having a scope mounted. First prize for me would be a 455 with a stock that doesn't have that horrible drop at the heel.
    I agree about the Lux stock. I have not handled it but I add value to how my gun looks so the straight, sporter and monte carlo stock always made me yay or nay about a rifle.
    One thing you should look at is whether the internet talk about the set trigger means anything to you. I have not looked beyond the part where they mention them being different and do not know if this will make you think differently. Also do not stop at these two options, I could swear there were more options available. America and Varmint should be under them.

Have a look here for the obvious differences.
    http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=32042.0

User

Depending on your intended use, you might want to look at the CZ 512 in .22LR. This is a semi-auto which comes with a 5 round mag and a pretty nice wooden stock.

When I last checked this was on special at S&O for around R4,9k (around 7-10 days ago). I saw 1-2 of them at the Pta branch.

Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tayls View Post
    Depending on your intended use, you might want to look at the CZ 512 in .22LR. This is a semi-auto which comes with a 5 round mag and a pretty nice wooden stock.

When I last checked this was on special at S&O for around R4,9k (around 7-10 days ago). I saw 1-2 of them at the Pta branch.

Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Most of the stock is sadly sold afaik. If this interests you get on it asap.

User

I looked at a CZ .22 at Camdix a while ago @ R7500 - don't remember the model no. but could be 455 Varmint. Bull 20" (?) barrel, no sights and wooden stock with straight comb. That's the one I would buy if I didn't have a BRNO no.2 :-)

Get the 455. The 452's are being replaced by the 455. The 455 has the option to interchange barrels and calibers.
    Which is a new feature CZ brought in. To help against their competition.
    The 455 has a trigger with some adjustment on it. Which the 452 does not have.
    The 455 is in most designs 20" barrel. So its nicer to carry. And if you add a silencer it does not get too long.
    And if you go read on it. 22lr burns up all its powder in the first 14-16" of barrel.
    So why would you want anything longer then a 20".

CZ 452 has been a time proven design for years. CZ would not have brought out the 455 if it was not according to them the new standard.

User

interesting points....

Banned

Some on the www.rimfirecentral.com forum seem to believe that the 452 series is more desirable than the new 455 series - assuming that you will fit a cheap yodave trigger kit to the 452 (no adjustment possible unlike the 455). In hind sight - I would rather have bought the stainless 452 than my current 452 lux because I ended up putting a scope on it anyway (bad eyes). The lux models have wonderful open sights - but its a waste in my opinion if you will never use them (or can't use them due to ageing eye sight). I have handled the 455 and the finish seems much the same. I seem to recall that the barrel was slightly shorter than the 452 lux. I don't see the 455's barrel interchangeability feature as a plus at all in RSA.

The lux stock sucks a little bit with a scope too. I was swayed into buying mine because of the price and the lack of available scope only type cz .22's in the country at the time. I do love my lux though - but I lust for the CZ 452 style stainless.

The CZ455 replaced the CZ452 because it is cheaper to manufacture, with a pinned barrel, that is all. The marketing department has of course put a good spin on it, becuase that is what they are paid to do.

The accuracy perfectionists and tradionalists believe that the threaded barrel and receiver of the CZ452 were/are better.

I cannot believe that the importers in SA will not import or not import enough of the straight American or modern style stocks with the straight comb. Over here in Aus, it is the other way around, with it being far easier to get the straight stocked CZs (in any model) than those with the hog-back stocks. They would not be able to sell the hog-back stocked rifles in any great numbers over here and would lose a significant number of sales if they tried to force the market to accept them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast