Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Wanting to upgrade my home security (in the US)

I live in the subur of Tallahassee, FL and I'm in the process of renovating the house. Yours truly is doing the majority of the work...

Anyways.... there has been a rash of burglaries and home invasions occurring. My neighbor's two vehicles were both broken into recently on separate occasions. Since the house is being renovated I want to upgrade the security.

I have a couple.of restrictions. We can't put up a concrete security wall around our home. The City aill not allow it. So I'm in the process.of adding additional lighting and security cameras. I'm also replacing my backyard fence with a new 6ft tall wooden privacy fence. I was thinking.once that's done, drive nails into the top of the fence and cut the heads off. Have it as a deterrent from petty criminals jumping over. Place each nail about four inches apart from each other on the top of the roof.

Windows are being replaced too. Getting hurricane windows. I also brought up my old hurricane shutters from Miami and I'm planning on measuring them and cutting them to fit my new home here in North FL. Not afraid of hurricanes but looking at more of a way to fortify the home if crap really gets bad.

Any other ideas?
    FL State GOA Director - Join GOA
    New Wave Firearms

User

Default Re: Wanting to upgrade my home security (in the US)

A lot of criminals here come through the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant9 View Post
    A lot of criminals here come through the roof.
    That hasn't crossed the pond yet for residential burglaries to single family residence. That mostly hapens to duplexes or apartments or commercial buildings.

Current MO is backyard entrance or they do a home invasion during the day by knocking.on the front door and the owner opens the door. They barge in.

I installed a storm door that is locked. So I can open my front door while keeping another door between me and other. I always look through the peep hole and ask before even that.
    New Wave Firearms

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Have layers of security.

A 6ft palicade fence topped with electric fencing. Beams between the fence and the house. If no fence is allowed beams are still an option. Have the beams and exterior opening doors set to chime when broken/opened. This is a great warning.

Burglar bars that cover the entire window, not just the opening part. Security gates at all exterior opening doors. A security gate separating the sleeping from the living area is a nice to have for night time visitors.

Hook your house up to an armed response company, and as Grant said to slow down roof entry nail chicken mesh to the trusses below the tiles, a motion sensor or two in the roof is also a win. Dogs sleeping inside are a deterrent too.

Then the final cherry is to have your blaster at arms length (but I somehow suspect this is not something we need tell you ;D)

Edit: have lights that illuminate your yard at night. They don't need to be heavy duty spots that'll give your neighbors a tan, but just enough to take away dark spots in the yard. Also having spots set around the house that can be remotely activated helps. Some chaps have CCTV too.
    Last edited by CorditeCrazy; 06-08-2016 at 20:03.

CorditeCrazy add a wife with a gun and pre-arranged signals for safe or beware.
    These innocent Miami cops are not used to be targeted day and night as any other civilian 24/7.

New Wave Firearms

User

WTF. I hope they get caught and charged.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Theunsb View Post
    CorditeCrazy add a wife with a gun and pre-arranged signals for safe or beware.
    These innocent Miami cops are not used to be targeted day and night as any other civilian 24/7.
    Add to that 2 x Boerboel's and 1 x Jack Russel

Currently early warning system

CZ Fan makes a good point; the smaller dogs can hear the bg thinking about evil, and sets up a serious racket. then the big one ensures that he scares the crap out of the evildoer.

I have 2 Jack Russells sleeping next to my bed and they warn me day and night when anybody enter the premises or a car stop near us. They are very aggressive towards strange adults but quite friendly to small kids. Better than all my other security gadgets together.
    When our dogs do not come to us when we get home we know we have problems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast